Tips to keep your cats in your garden? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Tips to keep your cats in your garden?

My cats have stayed in the house since they were kitten.
I would like to let them out in the summer (but not too long). Does anyone have ideas to keep my cats from wandering out the garden. There is a fence around the garden, but not high enough, I think (one and a half meter). We also have a hedge on both sides (I don't think they can escape through that, the fence is grown into the hedge and the hedge is more than two metres high). It's the streetside that's worrying me.

Does anyone have some advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 02:18 PM

The only way I know of it to actually build a cat-safe area. They make fences that have special tops to them so the cats can't climb out. Or make a total enclosure.
The do make invisible fence systems, which might work. However if the cat does get out, it won't want to come back through again! Plus, it doesn't keep other things (cats, dogs, etc..) out.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 03:51 PM

I am very nervous about letting my cats outside on their own, so when I spent the summer with my mom (a few years back, I was co-oping and Erik was at Army training and I didn't want to be alone) I went to Home Depot and bought a metal stake with a circle on the top that I screwed into the ground, and got them longer leashes for their harnesses. It was just Tinkerbell and Minnie at that point, and we'd hook them up to it and they'd sit in the backyard with us when we were in the pool. They loved it and would sit in the sun, and under the shade of the trees when they got too hot.

In the summer make sure you don't let them out for long periods of time because they'll get hot. Also, if you have a white kitty, they CAN get sunburned -- Tink got a little pink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 04:24 PM

I think you will be OK as long as you are out there to watch them.
Since they have lived inside all their lives, they may be a little scared outside. This will work to your advantage and keep them from wandering too far from the house. It will really depend on their personalities how much they want to wander.

My cats only go outside onto the deck if I am outside with them. I use the deck as an extra summer room and they will stay out there with me as long as I am there. I go in, I bring them in with me. I leave the door proper open so they can go inside if a noise scares them. If they get scared you want them to have a safe place to run to and not the street. r556r5t5tttttttttt (that was Squirrel walking over the keyboard)

Some days they only get a few minutes outside while I refill the bird feeders but others they get a longer time depending on what I am doing outside that day.

When they go outside they always must wear their collars with a name plate with my phone number and a bell. The bell is so I hear them if they try to escape or so I can find them easier if they do get away.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
r556r5t5tttttttttt (that was Squirrel walking over the keyboard)

@gsc4 that's how I wanted it, but I wasn't sure it'll work, thanks!
But first I will use a leash, I think. (more for my reassurance ) So when they got scared, they can't run to the street.

Someone gave me the advice to spray them with water when they go somewhere I don't want them to go. Do you think that's good advice?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann*
Quote:
r556r5t5tttttttttt (that was Squirrel walking over the keyboard)

@gsc4 that's how I wanted it, but I wasn't sure it'll work, thanks!
But first I will use a leash, I think. (more for my reassurance ) So when they got scared, they can't run to the street.

Someone gave me the advice to spray them with water when they go somewhere I don't want them to go. Do you think that's good advice?
You can try it, but I'd think it may scare them more being outside if they're not used to it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 07:10 PM

If you get a leash, I'd suggest a harness over a collar. A collar is easy to slip out of.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer2
If you get a leash, I'd suggest a harness over a collar. A collar is easy to slip out of.
Definitely, a collar won't do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page