Cat Friendly Sofa Fabric - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Cat Friendly Sofa Fabric

Hi There,

Well, time to buy a new Sofa and Recliner. My new kitty has been really hard on my old stuff, but the fabric has a loose weave and her claws go in it really easily. So I'm thinking Microsuede. Is that a cat friendly fabric? Is there a better fabric I should look at? By the way, speaker grills are NOT cat friendly...Lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 04:37 AM

Oh, yeah, we have fans of speaker grilles here too! Plus one messed up tweeter (sp?) on hubby's beloved speakers so far.

We have microsuede, and it seems to be the best fabric for us. I can easily remove the fur, and it is extremely forgiving of nails, both blunt and fully lethal versions. Doesn't hold smells as much as fabric. Leather is bad, we have a lot of scratch and puncture marks on that. Upholstery fabric is a cat's best friend. Ours has been mauled beyond repair.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 02:35 AM

We have microsuede too, its great. Summer puked all down the back of my sofa and it came off with water and scrubbing. Really hard to stain, amd we dont have any claw marks from kitties running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 07:35 AM

I manage a furniture store...........
Did you know that Microfiber was originally invented for people that have animals and kids? It has the highest tolerence to kids and pets, resists staining, and can be cleaned easily with soap and water! Some Microfibers are better than others, so you want to look for the THICKER feeling ones rather than the thinner ones. Fabrics are made in different mills and as everything is, some are better made than others. The better brand names generally use better fabrics rather than the cheaper ones to keep the costs down!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 08:30 AM
Banned

I'm bookmarking that.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
I'm bookmarking that.

You liked that info huh?
I am just a walking talking furniture encyclopedia filled with a wealth of knowledge!
20+ years in this business! So if anyone ever needs any help, ;et me know.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 12:12 PM

Wish I would have know this before buying leather..not that cats scratch it but when the miss a jump and try and cling for life...ugg..

we bought leather because of my allergies..how is Microfiber for allergies?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 12:14 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I have an old denim couch. The cats never touched it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 12:40 PM

Denim is an awesome fabric. I have had 6 Denim sets and just recently got a orinted one. I actually miss the Denim and it was great with kids and animals. I really don't know about the Microfiber and Allergies but can find out.............after I return to work. I am home for a bit recovering from Pneumonia! I can tell you though that LEATHER is far better to repair from Cat and Dog Scratches than Fabric. There is a echnique that is used that no one would ever know something on a leather piece had been damaged. I used to manage this furniture store where one of the delivery men got fired. He somehow got into the building that night and went on a rampage with a case/box cutter razor knife in our Leather Department. Every Sofa had razor cuts clear thru the hides. We had a Leather Master come in and work his magic and you'd never know it!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 11:44 PM
Cool Cat

I bought a microsuede sofa and chair, it hasn't been delivered yet so time will tell. Here's the crazy part...the sofa is chocolate brown.

Shari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page