What to do when mother-cat disappears? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

What to do when mother-cat disappears?

My cat got four little kittens 3 weeks ago. She has been taking care of them the whole time, but now she has been missing for more than 24 hours. She has never been away so long before, and especially not after she got the kittens

My boyfriend bought an "eyedropper" and a special milk for kittens, but only one of them wants to eat. They "cry" the whole time and we dont know what to do. Hopefully the mother will come back soon, but we have to realise that maybe she is gone for good.

What can we do to take care of the poor little kittens?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 04:38 PM

Oh those poor little babies. they must miss her so much. Did you let her out of the house? There is this special stuff you can make for them called
Kitten Glop. It is used by rescuers and Breeders. This is good along with the kitty milk and has a lot of nutrients in it.

8 ounces of Water
1 package of KNOX unflavored Gelatin
8 ounces of WHOLE EVAPORATED MILK
2 Egg Yolks
2 Tablespoons HIGH CALORIE MAYONAISSE
2 TABLESPOONS HIGH CALORIE YOGURT
1 TEASPOON KARO CORN SYRUP
Liquid Pet Vitamins
1 Capsule Acidodophilus
1 Drop Grapefruit Seed Extract

Dissolve the gelatin in Boiling Water. Mix Gelatin and Water with the rest of the ingredients. Refrigerate. The Glop becomes jellied when cold. Scoop out only what you need and heat to body temperatire. You can freeze servings in ice cube trays and store in the freezer.

Good Luck!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

thanks, we'll try that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Nidofu, I think they'd accept a bottle with a nipple better than a dropper. I would keep them nice and cozy with a special heating pad and a stuffed animal. There is a stuffed Snuggle Kitty, which would serve nicely as a mother. It has a "heartbeat" and a bottle holder. I wish you the very best, and so hope your cat is all right. God bless.

This is the least expensive Snuggle Kitty I found so far:

http://www.lambriarvet.com/Toys-Plush.php

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

wow, thats so cool! i never heard of a snuggle kitty before but i will try to buy one as soon as possible. thanks a lot!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

i just ordered the snuggle kitty now - hope it comes fast... i figured that it would be great for the kitties, even if the mother should come back again.

i've read that sometimes the mothers get 'tired' of the babies and just leaves them for a while. does anyone know if this is true? i'm kind of hoping that this is what has happened and that she will come back again soon. but i don't know...

before the babies were born she was never out of the house for more than a couple of hours at a time, so i am getting more and more worried for her now...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Banned

Kitten Handbook
A handbook on raising newborn and orphan kittens
http://www.kittenrescue.org/handbook.htm
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidofu
i've read that sometimes the mothers get 'tired' of the babies and just leaves them for a while. does anyone know if this is true?
Most cats are excellent mothers. The length of time they will leave them depends on the age of the kittens. There are exceptions to every rule, of course. I hope your cat is all right. I know you must be very upset.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Cat Addict

call your vet and see what they say. There is a kitten formula called KMR that you can get at a pet store. I would also try a bottle if I was you. How old are they again?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Premier Cat

http://www.kittenrescue.org/handbook.htm#Orphan

That was an excellent article Desnbaby.

I saw this on the Petsmart website.

We gave this to our foster kittens & they thrived on it.

We also fed them pureed babyfood meats to help them gain weight. In the beginning we had to feed them every 2 hours. Plus squirt some water down their throats to keep them hydrated. They were near death.

We also gave them ACIDOPHILUS for their digestive system. I cant remember the brand name but Petsmart has them in tubes to squirt down their throats. That helped alot also. maybe someone on the forum remember the name of this stuff??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page