Walking cat outside on leash - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Walking cat outside on leash

I put a harness on my cat and take him out in the yard for walks. It sure is not like walking a dog!! I think he walks me! Does anyone else do this? I am totally against letting your cat out and running around in the neighborhood. I am a wildlife rehabilitator and I specialize in squirrels. Cats are the main cause of me getting squirrels in my facility. I used to HATE cats! But I soon realized it was not the cat's fault, it was the owners fault. My cat will never run loose (I hope) and he will not be getting any squirrels. I am also thinking of putting a run out for him in the summer. I will be out there while he is. I will never leave him alone outside. I just want to give him fresh air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 07:35 PM

we've done that a few times, too. first try my cat andre slipped out of his harness he is so long that he just squeezed out. now we have better harnesses.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Cool Cat

Yep, my 3 lead me around on a leash too, just around the perimeter of the house mostly sniffing,

Pookie will chase the bugs she see's,

I also got a couple of toads that live under my front step, steet lite out front is where they head at nite for the bugs,

toad was out early one morning, but the cat I had out didn't even notice, I think must of missed the scent, which was suprizing.

Poo-poo will run to the window and call out when one of the others is outside, it's almost embarassing because she's so loud, but it's too funny too.

Oldest cat is usually content to sit on the front step, but does walk around the yard a little more than the others.

Ive done it more to get them acclimated to finding the door if they ever do get out, so it's also a learning exersize,

like when we get back from the Vets, I have them on a leash in their carrier and let them out from the car so in theory they should be able to walk me to the front door, works most of the time but I sometimes find they walk around the house first.

You'll have to fill us in more on your 'squirrel friends', sounds like oyu've taken on quite a tall task, bless your heart!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 09:03 PM

I used to walk Denzel up to a park near my house on his leash until a dog frightened him and jumped on my head and I had to have to stitches - that was the last time I took him on public walks!

But I take him to my parents and he runs around the backyard now without a leash under our supervision the whole time. Then its back on with the leash and time to come home.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 02:38 AM

haha

I've just started walking my cat too! She's really funny about it, but totally fearless except for any signs of the many stray cats in our neiborhood. She hasn't gotten used to her harness yet and does a lot of rolling on the ground to try to get out of it. I think her favorite part is chittering at birds and meowing the the nieghbors dog. She follows me a little but mostly goes where SHE wants, regardless if she gets tangeled in the bushes
I think is good exercise for her and me, (I'm such a blob!) and since she's not loose she won't get in fights with the fierce neighborhood kitties.
My family thinks I'm crazy!
Its too fun tho.

~Beth
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

My guy got out of the house early one night, didn't know he was gone for an hour. Talk about panic! Well, After every possible light was turned on, even my car headlights, he came out from under our deck in the back. I am hoping by just walking him around the area surrounding the house, that if he ever gets out again, that is where he will stay. And yes, I been through our bushes many of times, sometimes I have to crawl under them to get untangled. He loves to try and climb trees, I think when he was orphaned in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina, he had to climb trees in order to survive. He was a rescue from Pasada. He was climbing a tree in the back and his harness got tangle and he was being strangled and I couldn't reach him. Thank goodness my son was there to help. I keep him away from that tree now. People drive by and see me with him on leash and I know some of them think I am nuts! At least I will have him with me longer, he won't get hit by a car or anything worse than that.Speaking of squirrels, all three of my squirrel houses have squirrels in them and I think they have babies. I am very obssessed about squirrels. I get to attatched. I don't keep them any more to rehab, I get them in and get them stabalized and I have 2 friends who take them. I have seen so many horrible things, like maggots crawling out of noses, mouths, butts...... plus many other places. I could give shots, medication.... somewhat like a squirrel vet. I could never keep one to love, that is why I now have my cat. He is my husbands and my life. We live and breathe our cat. I am glad to see so many of you walking your cat. Have a nice day!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 03:57 PM

I have had my cats on leashes before too, I like to try to get them used to it young cause there are places I like to take my cats that a leash is needed, like when I take them next door to the retirement home to visit the elderly people it is a rule to have them on a leash and in the summer I like to take them with me to the out door concert thing they have every week, both places I mostly hold them, the leash is so they don't run off if they get scared, if they do get to scared I take them home.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 12:46 AM
Tom Cat

This is mine on a Animal Assisted Therapy trip. He is walking around a room at a convalescent home. We also take him outside on the harness. He doesn't seem to mind it.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris10
This is mine on a Animal Assisted Therapy trip. He is walking around a room at a convalescent home. We also take him outside on the harness. He doesn't seem to mind it.

Chris that is so cool you take your kitty to nursing homes. What a treat for them. He must be one calm cat to do this. How impressive.

I also take my cats out on leash. My japanese bobtail does better than my tuxy on the leash.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Cool Cat

I just got a harness and leash but I havne't tried it yet. I was going to try with Pumpkin first as she used to love to sit outside and walk to the mailbox with my friend (he passed away a year ago). But she won' fit into it! Think I am going to have to get a dog one for her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page