Gray is sick again it seems - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Gray is sick again it seems

He recently had a bladder infection, (about 10-14 days ago...had to have a catheter, IV fluids, blood test showed kidneys working fine but there were crystals in urine and infection).

Gray is sick again...crying and lazy, won't eat much at all or drink water. He's licking himself a lot and making frequent trips to try and pee, he can only do a little at a time. I'm going to take him to the Vet in the morning. I have no idea why he's got this again. I've been giving him antibiotics everyday since he came home the first time. I've bought special foods with low ash and low magnesium to keep crystals from forming in the urine, but it seems he's got another bladder infection. Man, I'm mad, sad, sick from being nervous as ****, and totally baffled. I've tried to get him to drink water, but he just licks it off my finger and won't drink form the bowl. **** I cannot afford this financially, nor can I stand to see him sick.

His antibiotics from the Vet were Baytril pills for 10 days then Baytril liquid, which I have given him 1cc 1x/day since the pills ran out.

Only differences I see in this illness vs. last is he has not thrown up yet.

I called the 24 hour emergency phone number of the vet he went to but no one ever called me back. I just tried to call them again.

Finally, he and his brother eat the same food, drink form teh same waterers, etc. and Bud (littlebrother) has never had this type problem.

Can someone QUALIFIED OR HAS EXPERIENCE WITH BLADDER PROBLEMS tell me more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 05:47 PM

Has your vet told you what type of crystals caused the blockage? Low magnesium foods acidify the urine making it harder for struvite crystals to form, but some vets are now thinking that this acidification is increasing the formation of calcium oxalate crystals.

Also, the sad fact is that some cats w/ FLUTD (I'm assuming that is what your cat has) relapse quite often even with great medical treatment.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

He did not tell me but I will ask tomorrow.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Banned

Aww, I'm sorry , I hope Gray will be better soon!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

I could not stand to wait any longer tonight. I finally found a Vet who had the decency to return my phone call. I loaded Gray in the truck and we made a 45 mile drive. The town I live in is 2000 people and 1 gas station, 1 typical store, and a Sonic drive in...that's it! Now you see why I have to drive 45 miles each way.

Got there, did a little paperwork and proceeded to tell the nurse what was going on. Doctor came in and seemed pretty nice and profesional, even at 7pm on a Sunday night. He was a little "technical" but when I asked a few questions with $5 words too, he saw I was an informed pet caretaker I believe.

No blocked bladder- uretha Thank the Lord above. $175 later and this is what we got / were prescribed.

After hours office call: $75
Examination: $43.00
Dexamethasone Inj. 2mg/ml $10.00
Baytril Injection- $10.00
Torgugesic 50 ml- $12.50

Presceriptions:

Baytril 22.7 mg 14 days worth $12.60
Prednisone 5 mg 1000|# 10 tablets 12.00

$175.10

I think Gray is glad to be home but he's still squatting and trying to pee in the litterbox, on the carpets, etc. If he's getting anythng to happen, I can't see it yet.

Vet said his bladder did NOT feel really large and he also said he could not feel and stones, etc.

I hope the little round man can just get some sleep now. I'm tired and I know he has to be.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 01:15 AM
Premier Cat

I'm glad you were able to get him in. If it makes you feel any better, that's less than it cost me in L.A. when I had to bring Little-one in for a UTI. I've never heard of Torgugesic. Do you or anyone know what it is? Just curious.
Hope he feels better soon.
Never mind, I looked it up. It's Torbugesic and is a pain med.

Victoria
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Cool Cat

How is he doing today??
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

He's better, eating wet & dry food, but I have not seen him drink any water since last night around 3am.

I don't know if its the meds or not, but I have not seen him sleep any either. Sort of dd because he's a good "napper" usually.

I called the Vet and told them he wasn't drinking water today, they are supposed to call me because. The Vet was with someone at the time.

Thanks for asking,

Todd, Gray & Bud
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Cool Cat

Do you feed him wet and dry food?
Maybe you can make sure he gets extra wet food - the moisture content will help.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

They get both wet and dry...I even add filtered water to the wet food. He's eating well and finally drinking water, but now he's developed a cough.

Guess I'll have to take him back the the Vet today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page