will a kitten accept two new kitties in the house ?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

will a kitten accept two new kitties in the house ??

Hi everyone !!

I have a little problem so I would appreciate if you people help me out...

I have a 4.5 months old female persian kitten in my house... my friend has two 2 month old kittens with him: one is siamese and another one is a persian.... the siamese kitten is female and the persian is a male....

my friend is shifting to another city because he got a new job over there .... he is giving the kittens so I told him I am interested in taking the kittens from him... what I wanted to ask is that if I take both the kittens from my friend and introduce them to my kitten, will she accept both of them ?? or will there be a fight between them ...

would'nt she get depressed that not one but two stragers have come into her house... I love my kitty so much that I just don't want her to get hurt...but I also love those kittens.. they are sooooo cute..

please tell me what should I do.. whether I should take both kittens or one or none ... please help me out.... is it possible that my kitten accepts only one of the new kittens ...maybe she does not like the siamese female so will she be aggressive towards her .... if this happens then will this affect my relationship with the kittenss.... Please people help me out.... I am in such a confused state ....

thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 11:38 AM

I think that considering the age of your cat (quite young) that she will probably accept the kittens who are also quite young. Maybe just taking one might be less stressful for everyone but two might work out fine still. Just remember to be slow in introducing them to each other. Good Luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Cool Cat

Good for you for wanting to adopt the little ones!!

Most cats, when introduced correctly and gradually will accept one another. They may never be best friends but they will usually be just fine.

There is lots of info (both here and on the internet) on introducing cats correctly if you do not already know how. http://www.cuhumane.org/topics/catcat.html

Your persian may well enjoy the company - but just so you know, they will most never be happy at first. Just realize that cats are not social like dogs are, so you can't just plop them in together. Some people do that and then think their cat will never get along with other cats and that is most likely not the case - it just needs to be done correctly.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply....

Cat Whisperer the article which you pasted over here says that keep the cats in separate but adjoining rooms.. I have a problem... I have two seperate rooms but not adjoining rooms.....
Actually there is my bedroom and there is another room attached with it but has a glass door in between so one can easily see what is happening in the other room.... the room joined with my room is the one where I feed my kitten.. there is another room but it is very far from these two rooms... what I wanted to ask is that if I keep the kittens in that room, will it still be Ok or is it necessary to keep the cats in two adjoining room ?

I have still not decided what to do and I will talk and discuss with my friend tommorow... suppose I take only the male kitten and then initially I have to keep it in a seperate room , then won't it meow alot because he will be alone in a room because I will not always be there with him ...??
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I think it is actually easier to introduce two than to introduce one. I introduced THREE at one time and my two big ones adjusted right away.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Jon

With all three being young at this age I dont see much of a problem. They might be a little skiddish at first but then start playing.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 06:39 PM

All of them are so young that I think you won't have any real problems. If anything I think they will all appreciate the playmates. Within a hour I predict you will have 3 kittens running all around your house playing.

You can also do some ground work since they are coming from a friend. A couple days before you take the newcomers in, you and your friend should exchange a blanket or towel that has the kittens scent on it. One from your cat to him and one from his cats to you. This way all 3 can get used to the scent of the others. Then when they meet, the smell will be familiar.

And think about how much fun you will have with 3 babies in the house. I miss having multiple kittens around. It is so much fun to play with them.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Jr. Cat

I just added a third five month old to my existing five month old pair of brothers and it went swimmingly well.

We did the separate room thing only for 3-4 hours on the very first day, and the entire time they played with each other under the door. Two weeks later and they are sleeping together and playing constantly- the house is a war zone with fuzzy projectiles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc4
And think about how much fun you will have with 3 babies in the house. I miss having multiple kittens around. It is so much fun to play with them.
Same here.....I am ADDICTED to kittens.....my fiance said to either choose between him and more kittens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page