HELP -- I'm going away and my kitten won't eat his dry food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

HELP -- I'm going away and my kitten won't eat his dry food

I am the proud family of a nearly 4 month old Siamese kitten, or "baby cat" as my 3 year old grandson calls him. My cry for help is, does anyone have any ideas how I can get him to eat dry cat food? I have tried 3 or 4 different brands including Science Diet for kittens and Iams for kittens and he refuses. He eats canned food fine, but he doesn't have to chew that! I have soaked the dry in water and added juice from canned and he will eat it sometimes. Sometimes I have to mix the watered down dry with the canned. BUT he needs to begin eating dry so that I can leave him alone over night! I'm not planning on doing that until June, but am worried. Any suggestions will be tried!

Title edit by lymekaps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 12:12 PM

Do you want the cat to eat dry food due to cost issues, or are you under the impression that it is preferred for health? Canned food is generally going to be much better for the long-term health of your cat. The dental issue is virtually debunked. Cats only chew a small percentage of their dry food, which makes the dental benefit minimal. A canned food offers numerous health benefits that greatly outweight dental health, including kidney health and others.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 12:33 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder
Do you want the cat to eat dry food due to cost issues, or are you under the impression that it is preferred for health?
I think it's cuz she is planning on leaving him...
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzie
..... BUT he needs to begin eating dry so that I can leave him alone over night! I'm not planning on doing that until June, but am worried. Any suggestions will be tried!
So you want to be able to leave out dry so he will be able to eat while you are away? Are you going away for just during the nighttime or mutiple nights? It's funny cuz most people have more of a problem getting them to eat canned than dry. Gosh I wish I had some suggestions!! Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Katzie,

I edited the title of your post to make it more specific.

I see that it would be easier for you to have him eat some dry so that you can be away. My cats eat a mix of wet and dry for the same reason.

Have you tried other brands? Science Diet is low quality and not very palatable to many cats. Iams is also low in quality. You might have better luck with higher quality food that has meat (not by-products) as the first ingredient.

Another option would be for you to hire a pet sitter to come in while you're away to check on your kitten. Since he's little, you might consider it whether he eats the dry of not.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

I am going to have someone come in while I am gone, but probably they won't want to come more than one time a day. This kitten eats like a horse!!!! So I thought it would be helpful to have him eating dry by then. It will be June so I have some time. I am going to try the dry chicken soup for the cat lovers soul someone suggested. The thing is he just doesn't seem interested in chewing-----except on my fingers and toes.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 01:11 AM
Premier Cat

My cats love Wellness dry and go crazy for Evo. A lot of cats don't like S.D. or Iams which is a good thing 'cause, as lymekaps said, they aren't very good foods.

Victoria
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 09:10 AM

Missed the part about going away. I've had some success with the petmate automated feeders. There's one that has 5 sections and a block that you put in the freezer that will keep the food cool for a while. I used this when I was out for 36 hours due to tonsil extraction, and it worked out. I've used it on and off since then as well. The only issue I've had is that one of my cats "buries" his food and upturned the thing once, which made it not work properly.

The thing has 5 timers you set and when each timer activates, the next section of food shows up.

If you are unable to get your cat to eat dry food, you might give this thing a try. I don't use it much anymore because I feel more safe giving them free-fed dry while I'm gone, but it's still something I would consider for a short trip.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good ideas. I am really surprised that some of you don't think S. Diet and Iams aren't any good. I thought since the vet sold it that it was probably better than most. In the mean time I have tried Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lovers soul and InnovaEVA which he didn't take to either. I am now feeding him chunkier Friskies canned, like Sliced Beef in Gravy so that he HAS to chew!!!!! He seems to be doing ok with that and maybe he will start liking the dry in the next couple of months. I have until the 2nd week in June to get him to eating dry food. Keep the ideas coming. I'm going to start mixing some dry in with the chunky canned next week so he will have to chew it too.

He's really cute, but picky
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzie
Thanks for all the good ideas. I am really surprised that some of you don't think S. Diet and Iams aren't any good. I thought since the vet sold it that it was probably better than most.
just because a vet sells it doesn't make it good. both Iams and Sience Diet are corn based and have very little actual meat in them.

the vet across the street from where I lived in SF sold Hartz flea and tick meds, all it means is that the vet makes money for just having it in their office and gets a precentage of the sales.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 08:01 PM

Good idea mixing in the dry with the wet. Start slowly. It might take a while but you still have time. It took months for my 2 to get used to wet food.

Be patient. He only knows soft stuff as food for his entire young life. He just needs time to explore new tastes and textures. He's just a baby.

Now is not a bad time to encourage him to eat a variety of food types and flavors. Otherwise you could end up with a very picky eater for the next 20 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page