Relatives with allergies - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Relatives with allergies

I have just finished school (veterinary technology), and I am now living with my mother for several months in order to save up for first and last month's rent, furniture etc. My aunt is coming here for a six week stay this summer and she is VERY allergic to cats. She doesn't understand why my mom let me bring them in the house as she visits on a yearly basis. My mother (also allergic to cats) loves animals (unlike my aunt) has asked me to get them bathed and groomed before my aunt arrives which I will do, but I don't think it will help much. I have been here with my two cats for a month and a half, they have been allowed in all of the rooms and on all fof the furniture.

If my aunt has a severe reaction I will have to find a temporary home for my babies and I don't want to do that. So, the question is: what can be done to reduce the reaction?

What can we do here to help my aunt and is there anything my aunt can do in preparation other than antihistamines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 02:26 PM
jab

I have heard it can take years for the cat allergen to clear a home!
If there is a spare room that your Aunt will sleep in, start keeping that door closed and the cats out. Try to vacuum the room well including wiping down the walls, draperies, etc. That will help reduce the amount of allergen in the room. Having you Aunt take an antihistamine will help, she should start a few days before arriving at your house. Bathing cats I don't think helps, but wiping down the cats with allergy wipes supposedly helps. Some people have a psychosomatic reaction just to seeing a cat, so it might be helpful to keep your kitties out of site just in case.
Good Luck!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to ericalynn429
I would try to keep them in one room, that your aunt will not go in . She shouldnt have any reactions than. Also, vacume and clean everything daily. Petsmart sells allergy shampoos and wipes that have worked for me and are fairly inexpensive (like 3.00).

good luck

<3 Life Isnt about finding Perfection<3 Its about taking what you have and making it perfect <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 02:14 AM

I'm allergic to cats, and my allergist recommended vacuming every two to three days because it stirs up the cat dander which makes it worse. I take allergy pills year round, but I bathe Khia with water and brush the heck outta her and it seems to healp since her fur isn't floating everywhere. I also don't allow her to sleep on my pillows (which she doesn't mind) and I have special covers on the pillows. And remind her not to rub her eyes Good luck
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 08:56 AM

allergies

If there is time, you can invest or rent a HEPA filter vacuum which will get all the dander. I have one (more for the cat's allergies than for mine) and it does not stir up the dust--it removes it.

Bathing the cats in a hypoallergenic shampoo, then keeping them well away from your aunt, sounds like a good idea. But if her allergies are severe she probably will have some reaction.
You say your mother is allergic but still keeps cats? How has she dealt with the allergens up til now?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas guys. My aunt is getting her self all worked up from now so I have a feeling that she is going to react badly and that half of it is going to be all in her head.

My mom and sister are both allergic and they both started off taking antihistamines everyday. My sister no longer needs to take them, she seems to have gotten habituated. My mom on the other hand has to take one every so often, but she is mostly OK now except when she pets them and forgets to wash her hands before touching her face.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 06:32 AM

how are things going with your visiting aunt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page