Sweet cuddles by day, evil and loud by night - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Sweet cuddles by day, evil and loud by night

Hello.
This is my first post here, and I tried to read through as many threads as I could to find this answer, but I came up empty handed.

Zelda is a bit over a year old, and ever since we got her she has had the same behavior. First of all, she doesn't understand how to now hurt us when she is playing. Our other cat, Phoenix will lightly bite and never digs her claws into our hands, but Zelda plays very violently and therefore we are almost scared to play with her.
She gets in these moods, especially at night, where anything is fair to her. She attacks my hair and wraps herself in it, she bites us if we're moving beneath the blankets, and she just runs around causing problems. This is an every night occurence. When she falls asleep with me at night, she is so snuggly and sweet, as she is most of the day, but around 3AM I always end up kicking her out of the room.
She unplugged our alarm clock the other night, which was kind of the last straw..
Sometimes she just has this look in her eyes and I know she's going to attack me, and I know it isn't some sort of violent act, it is just her playing, but she has scratched my face until it bleeds before..
This is behavior that is only there about an hour during the day and a few hours at night. when we let her in in the morning, she is sweet just like always.
any ideas on why she is so destructive? She gets along well with Phoenix, they play together and lately have been cuddling together (phoenix won't even cuddle with me).

PS Right now she's watching the letters come up on the screen. I think she knows I'm talking about her : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think she knew what she was doing when she unplugged your alarm clock, but that made me laugh! (But I do think she knows you're talking about her. )

How long have you had Zelda? Has she been fixed? How long have she and Phoenix been together? I don't really have any answers -- being relatively new at the cat ownership game -- but these are questions other members who have answers may ask you.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

heheh yeah, she does play with chords a lot though, and they always seem to be cords to clocks!

We have had Zelda for about 6 months now, and that's the same amount of time Phoenix and Zelda have known eachother. It took them about a week to be comfortable with eachother, and Phoenix never posses a problem.
She has been fixed, before we got her (she was given up, then adopted, then given up again all before the age of 1) .
I read someone else having a problem with their cat flipping through magazines which 1)is absolutely hilarious, and 2) i completely understand. I will try to do paperwork on the bed or desk or couch and Zelda just sits on it, usually where i am writing, but sometimes on open books or folders. it seems to be anything that is white. i don't know if that is some kind of attention thing or if she just likes the coolness of paper. BUT anyway, she will rip paper at night also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

That's so strange about her behavior only being bad in the wee hours of the morning. I'm sure you'll get good advice on every aspect of your post.

In the meantime, welcome! You'll like it here.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Premier Cat

Welcome to the forum.
Cats are, by nature, nocturnal, so it's very normal for her to get extra spunky at 3 am. She's still quite young too. I don't think any cat I've had has even started to settle down until 2 1/2, if they did at all! A couple suggestions I have would be to have a really good play session with her before you go to bed and then feed her. It might help tire her out a bit. Once you have turned out the lights completely ignore her. Any attention you give will be construed as playing. You may need to keep her out of your bedroom if all else fails.
As for her playing to rough, I would keep her nails clipped and you'll need to teach her whats too rough. If she hurts you, let her know with a good sharp "No!" and then ignore her. If she bites too hard, do the same as above, but also instead of pulling your hand (foot, chin...) away, gently press it into her mouth. I found that's the best way to get a cat to stop biting too hard.
Hope that helps!

Victoria
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

i tried soooo hard last night to ignore her after lights out, but she just curls up in my neck or on the pillow and i can't help it.

i will try harder next time..: )
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 10:24 AM

I know exactly what you are going through! Andi loves to hop up on the bed to bring a lil victory present (usually a toy of some sort... it is usually "her straw") and she'll tumble around the bed with it while I'm trying to get to sleep or read a book. It's really cute. Sometimes she'll chase her tail too. She's just really playful. She'll attack my feet too and I just have to spray her with some water. Last night I wasn't getting so mad that she was trying to play with my feet except she only uses her claws for this lil playtime hour. She never uses her claws for anything else. So I sprayed her claws right after she did it and she got the hint, laid down with her straw under her paws, and just sat there purring happily and once in a while biting her straw.

I think they are just naturally playful. We had to kick her out last night but of course when my husband gets up for work, he'll leave the door open while he's showering so she'll hop on me and go "MEEEEOOOOWWW" and she'll do this over and over again. Who needs an alarm clock when you've got her?!

I'm not sure if spraying Andi is helping her understand that I don't like it, but yesterday she curled up beneath the blankets with me by my feet and was just gently nibbling on the heel of my feet. I think she knows it is connected to me but finds it so much fun to play with lol! She's a weirdo.

If you find something that works, let me know! I've just given in to her lil quirks. I want her to remain kittenish forever and I know I'll miss the behavior when she gets older and settles down more (if she does).
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 11:04 AM

Some cats are just like that. There are heck raisers and mellow cats. My first cat I have name Moncia was a mellow cat until we got a kittin and now they raise heck at night and early in the morning. They play fight at night and the morning. I found that if one of my cats raise heck I try to go and sit and talk to them, it works for me. try it and see if it works for you. Also there's tons of help about this on the net, try searching.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Krystalily:

If only Zelda would play with toys!! She has this need to play with everything else, no matter how much I push for her to play with the toys we buy her. She also likes to put her paws up on the sliding closet doors, so they make this loud banging sound. She loves it.
I will try some things this weekend. I have yet to try a spray bottle with the cats, but we'll see if I can make that work.
Zelda doesn't like to be under the covers, so at least my feet are protected by the thick comforter!!

BTW:
this time of year is going to be exciting for me. Zelda and Phoenix rarely snuggle, but since it's colder, we always wake up with them laying on top of eachother, Phoenix usually is grooming Zelda. I know a lot of people's cats do this, but its exciting now that MINE are : ) I'll post pictures when I can catch them together.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 04:22 PM

Just remember not to spray the cats for playing or for fun. That will make them think they are being bad. Also, make sure you say "No!" or "Bad!" to the cats when you spray them. It helps them understand the word no or bad. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page