How do i talk to my cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

How do i talk to my cat?

Is this possible, like i talk to my kitty and would it meow back?
Can i make my cat sit, roll over, almost as if she was a dog.. [lol]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Banned

No, you can't MAKE your cat do dog tricks. Some cats will learns tricks if they're cooperative and properly motivated, but you can't MAKE them.

You CAN however, talk to your cat. Just talk like you'd talk to any pet. Your cat may very well "talk" back to you. Some cats are more "talkative" than others. Make up your mind whether you like a talkative cat first because once they start talking, they may never shut up.

And I'll do you a big favor and not tell her that you compared her to a dog.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Cool Cat

You can teach your cat to react to basic commands (actually, with a cat its more like a request rather than a command...)

Teaching a cat tricks is different than teaching a dog tricks. Dogs will do it because they want to please you, but a cat will do it if they want to and there's something in it for them (usually treats).

I'd suggest googling the subject to see if you can find any how-to's if your determined to teach kitty to do tricks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Banned

Google "clicker training cat" -- that's how some people successfully train their cats.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Premier Cat

I don't know about training, but I think Rookie definitely understands some words. If I say "Brush?" to her, she runs to the basket that holds the brushes and assumes the brushing position. I think she understands "Come here," because she usually does.

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Aww thanks for the advice! I do talk to my cat like.. say hello.. but when i do talk to my cat she doesnt respond in any way or do i ''Meowello''?.. But thanks anyway!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 04:19 PM

Never underestimate your cat. My cats know a 10-15 word vocabulary like for instance: lie down, no, come her, toy, hungry, treat.... etc.

They are very smart, but then again they are my babies, and I would say that.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 04:26 PM

Toby is particularly talkative but only with me. I ask him silly questions and he always replies with a meow of varying sound. We have little conversations and it's lovely
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 06:10 PM

definitely smarter than most people think

I've had cats my whole life and most of them weren't very talkative. My two cats now won't ever shut up! When they were kittens and my boy cat would meow at me, I'd "meow" back, making it sound like the word "mamma". Now, when he's walking around the house looking for me he meows "mamma" really loudly until he finds me. My friends think it's hilarious. But they definitely have different meows for different things. There are polite meows, urgents meows, "something's not right" meows, feed me meows, etc. My girl cat always meows when we say her name, and often stings together a bunch of varying meows that sound like a sentence. If I could speak cat I'm sure I'd find that she's been saying alot of interesting stuff.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

ok well when i try to talk to my cat she just sits there licking herself lol the only time she meows is when im not at home.. my mum tells me she kept crying because i wansnt there. When i am there however shes a quite lil angel, She does respond to her name.. and follows her 'master' [me] around the house. When she has no food in her bowl she does meow around her bowl. But she just doesnt respond when i talk to her when shes lazing about. She can rollover too lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page