Clawing for attention / excitement? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Clawing for attention / excitement?

Hey everyone,

This is my first post, but I have a behavioral issue with my cat and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the same. Very early in the morning, my cat loves to claw the carpet, or corner my OPEN bedroom door, and let out a little meow. It gets really annoying. Usually I'll rollover and go back to bed, and she'll finally stop. Sometimes I've gotten up to let her outside, thinking that's what she wants and she'll just stand there staring at the door, then at me. She has food, water, and a clean litterbox (she hardly uses this because she goes outdoors). It's like she's toying around, she's done this behavior in the past, but it's periodic, and she's started up again. Normally, I get up at 6am - 6:30am, but I'm on a four day weekend and want to sleep in. I would just like to know what she wants, and get her to stop clawing my door!

If I go back to sleep she stops eventually, and comes and curls up next to me. I have no idea what she wants. Let me clarify that she's about 3yrs old, spayed, and is an outdoor by day, indoor at night cat. Thanks for any suggestions!

~e.victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Banned

She just wants attention. If you occasionally give it to her, she'll continue doing it. As you've noticed, when you ignore her, she'll stop after a while. If you ignore her ALL the time, eventually she'll stop trying and just wait until you get up.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
She just wants attention. If you occasionally give it to her, she'll continue doing it. As you've noticed, when you ignore her, she'll stop after a while. If you ignore her ALL the time, eventually she'll stop trying and just wait until you get up.
That's what I was afraid of. What a brat! I guess I better break out the ear plugs, although I'm missing one. She tends to bat at my ear plugs and I've been missing the other for about a week now. I swear she's so **** smart to sabatoge the very device assists me in ignoring her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

She's very pretty. What's her name?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 12:52 AM

One thing that can sometimes work for dissuading cats from clawing is sticky tape... if possibly you are wanting her NOT to scratch that spot.

I had a cat who always clawed the carpet in my doorway... usually when the door was closed, as a signal, but when it was open he'd do it anyways because apparently he thought it was a good scratching spot. *sigh*
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Her name is Athena, originally, but we had a 4yr old neighbor that could not pronounce her name, so she called her, "Bena". So, I call her, "Bena", and sometimes "Bena-Bean-Bean". She loves to cuddle and will sleep in the same spot all night. For a former stray, she has turned out to be the perfect cat, other than demanding my attention early in the morning. But hey, during the work week she beats the alarm!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarmagic
One thing that can sometimes work for dissuading cats from clawing is sticky tape... if possibly you are wanting her NOT to scratch that spot.

I had a cat who always clawed the carpet in my doorway... usually when the door was closed, as a signal, but when it was open he'd do it anyways because apparently he thought it was a good scratching spot. *sigh*
That's a good idea, I'll try it. She's really weird, she only scratches / claws at that particular time in the morning OR when she's overly excited. For example: she stops and claws the front lawn frantically when I come home from work every night. As soon as I get through the gate, she is there to greet me and goes nuts with the clawing... I noticed she does it when she's apparently feeling really good.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Premier Cat

The stretching/clawing in your direction is a cat's way of saying, "I like you. I'm happy to see you.".
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Banned

Yes, Mellie does that. I wish she'd stick to liking me on her many scratching posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Cool Cat

If you feed her right after you wake up, this is more incentive for her to want to wake you, so its best to give food before leaving in the morning and not right after getting up.
That may not be the case for you, but I figured I'd mention it anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page