AGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

AGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR

I just got my male kitten 1 week ago he will 2 months Dec 1. The first days he was sweet and came to sleep with me and asked for cuddles.. but suddenly he has become aggresive... he attacks everything in his site.. if hes not sleeping or eating hes attacking... he attacks me everywhere.. I dont know what to do? I have locked him in the bathroom several times.. but it seems to be getting worse after I do that.. What can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:01 PM

LOL Welcome to the terrible 2's.

Yes, just like children, kittens go through this too. Sounds like our kittens are approx. the same age. Mine is also going through this stage. When not eating or sleeping, she's tearing around the house like The Flash. She is constantly hunting either myself or my wife, or Tink, our older cat.

The hunt usually has her attacking our feet as we are walking, so we have to be extra careful not to kick her or step on her right now. But she also has this habit of sitting our our feet when we are standing around doing something, weather in the bathroom or kitchen, then climbing our leg. Not so bad when wearing jeans or thick sweats, but ouch when our wearing something light.

Again, its natural behavior, and simply have to live through it till he/she grows out of it.

We do not scold her for any of this behavior, we know its simply her natural growing up as a cat. And locking her in a room to be honest may be making the situation worse. It just has her energy pent up more, thus having her release it even more once out. I would suggest giving her a good round of hard core playing, get some of that energy out. This also gives you the ability to train him/her as to what is too rough of play. If your not sure on how to do this, feel free to read up some of the threads posted here about it. Theres alot of tecniques that can be used, the one we use on our cats is to express our selves to them in ways they understand. For example, if she gets to playing too rough, I will get down to the same level as her, give her a stare and a low growl, and even a light swat, similar to how another cat might do. This simply tells her "I am not happy with you right now." It worked for us on our first cat, and we already have our 2 month old trained to the point where she knows when too rough is too rough.

Guess were kinda lucky, since our older cat deflects alot of this type of play from us... but she gets annoyed also, and will usually come to us and tell us its our turn to baby sit
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 05:07 PM

Lots of toys. When she does this direct her play aggression onto a toy of some kind... have her chase things, beat up a stuffed animal, etc. Hopefully you can teach her that it's okay to play - but never to hurt human hands (or feet!), rather toys instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Cool Cat

We were having a very similar problem with our new kitten several weeks ago. Part of the problem can be attributed to the kitten being seperated from his mother earlier than whats healthy. Kittens should actually stay with their mother for several weeks after they are weaned, preferably until they are 10-12 weeks old. Mom cat has a lot to teach the kittens yet and part of this is teaching them whats acceptable behavior and whats not. We're finding more and more that the widely accepted practice of taking a kitten away at 6-8 weeks is really not so good for the kitten.
Now that he's there to stay, you have to take the place of mother cat and teach him what is acceptable as far as play.

Here's what worked for us:

When the kitten starts to bite or attack, gently scruff him and give him a sharp "no!" and then immediately redirect his attention to a toy. He needs an alternative for play but he also needs to know that biting people is not acceptable. Dicipline is part of the natural growing up as a cat. An adult cat will dicipline a kitten, its just far more subtle than what a human is able to do. A cat that is not taught what is too rough will not necessarily grow out of it, so I think you need to be proactive about teaching them that they shouldn't bite or attack.

Never play with the kitten with your hands or any other part of your body. Its easy to slip on this, but its something you need to be consistant about.

When our kitten got too rough and just wouldn't quit, he'd get shut in the bathroom for 15 min so he could calm down. Afterwards, he would be calmer for a while until he decided that he wanted to play again. The biggest reason for shutting him in another room was because there are times when we (and the other cats) needed a break from him so we wouldn't get too frustrated.
He still gets shut in the spare room sometimes at night because he decides to try and play at 5am.

It also helps to do your best to wear them out at times that are more convenient for you so they don't want to play while you're sitting down to eat or trying to sleep. Even though it may seem impossible to wear him out, it will make some difference. Schedule several play times a day in which you use interactive toys to keep him running around until he doesn't want to run or play anymore.

Another thing that really helped was that when he did bite, we kind of would push a finger or thumb into his mouth and down onto his tongue. It confused him because a normal prey response is to pull away, and he really didn't like it so he learned very quickly that way. It didn't hurt him at all (and thankfully his teeth were still small enough that it didn't really hurt us) but it did seem to be pretty unpleasent for him.

This is the technique we used, and after a few weeks we turned a little monster into a playful kitten who no longer bites us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page