Kitten always in my face at night! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Kitten always in my face at night!

I just brought home a male kitten about a week ago, and he's around 13wks old. He has gotten VERY attached to me and is extremely affectionate, which I love.

However, I'm having a really hard time sleeping with him because of his behavior: He is ALWAYS right in my FACE. He lightly places his front paws on my face, and if I let him, he lays directly on my face. I'm always having to push him away and he's constantly waking me up. I've tried hissing at him, scolding him, tossing him off the bed, etc. but he always repeats the behavior.

I feel bad because I know that it's just his way of being cuddly, but it's driving me crazy! I really want to make it work, because I would love to sleep peacefully with my kitty..if I locked him out he would just cry and cry.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Premier Cat

Kittens sleep snuggled right up against their mother and littermates, that is all he is trying to do with you.

I had a kitten I had to bottle feed and he would sleep on my neck. That was okay...until he got heavier and would compress my neck (veins and windpipe). I would gently move him to behind my neck/head. I don't want to sleep with my face in cat fur.

Just be gently perisitent and he will eventually learn where it is acceptable for him to sleep with you.
Heidi

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 12:05 PM

Funny, I was just going to post a new thread on this topic! My Ignatius lays on my neck at night. This was so cute when he weighed less than 2 pounds! Now he is 7 pounds (and growing), and I am seriously getting worried about being smothered at night! That would be bad! I love him being so cuddly so I have never done anything about it, I just let him stay there. But it sounds like I need to start moving him when he does that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, that definitely makes sense..

Part of the issue is that I'm kind of allergic to him, but only if he scratches my skin or I touch my eyes after I pet him. Sometimes he kneads my face/neck area when he's trying to get close to me at night and his claws will graze my skin, which makes me super-itchy.

For now I will just get some Benadryl cream and keep moving him at night until he gets the hint.

Thanks for your comments!

Sarah
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Can you put a small cat bed near your pillow, he may like to sleep in that. Also...clip his nails to prevent scratching when he kneads you...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Cat bed..good idea.
If that worked, I wonder what would happen if I took it away later on..(I am very pro-snuggling
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Just be gently perisitent and he will eventually learn where it is acceptable for him to sleep with you.
Heidi
Really ??? Ill get my two YEAR old kittens to read this .... Garfield nearly drove me nuts last night ...and hubby says he tries to move her then I moan and grumble in my sleep that he musnt

The horror kittens BTW were nursed by mommy until they were 5 months old in the lap of luxury in my home ..... so they were in no way deprived of love by mommy or me , or uncle freddy and auntie magic!!!!

They are a pair of little hellions

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Cool Cat

hehe, I have a 13 yr old cat who refuses to sleep anywhere except where she wants to, and usually where she wants to sleep is right by my head. If I move her too much she gets upset with me and will walk off only to come back later when I'm sleeping and have no say in the matter!
At least she no longer sleeps on my head.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:19 AM

I have recently trained Levi to sleep on my head. I love snuggling my face into his belly in the middle of the night .
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 03:24 AM

If I sleep in my lounge Chair dusty like to either sleep between my legs where the blanket makes a sort of hammock or she will snuggle up in my elbow and paw at me to wrap my arm around here. She does the same thing in bed she tends to stay away from my face but will curl up against my head occasionally. Im going bald so I guess she likes the heat my head gives off in the winter lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page