Pushing things off the counters - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Pushing things off the counters

Martell has picked up a naughty little habit lately, from seemingly nowhere... he wakes up around 6am every day and decides that he wants breakfast. I'm usually not up that early, so he decides he needs to wake me up.

He will jump up onto the dresser or night stand and sit there for a second looking at me... then he will walk up to something (candle, jewelry box, pen, etc) and push it onto the floor.

He pushed the ALARM CLOCK off the dresser the other day.
*CRASH!*

He will persist until I get out of bed. I usually refuse to give in, thinking that it will only enforce the undesirable behavior... sometimes I'll get up and stick everything in the dresser drawer and go back to bed... but then he will find something else to do to get me up, like chewing on the garbage bag, etc.

He does it in the evening, too, if I am working at my desk... usually with pens, books, and things like that.

Has anybody else had to deal with this? If so, how do I discourage this behavior? That boy is walking all over me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Premier Cat

Martell sounds like my cat, Mister.

If I was unable to pay attention to Mister (watching tv, reading or unloading bags of purchases) he would push things off of flat surfaces. He would always stop and look to see if he got a reaction from me. Sometimes he would chew/tear paper or boxes, knowing it drove me batty! Several times, I would be busy with something and not give him the attention he demanded and he would march up to a wall, spin around and SPRAY it! That STINKER! Oh, he got attention, all right....
Other times when watching tv, he would sit between us and the tv and meow. If that didn't work, he'd sit or stand on his back legs and wave his front feet in the air. If THAT didn't work, he'd bounce sideways at us...

He was a very personable cat, but one of the most neediest kitties I've ever known. He constantly had to be touching me and have my attention. I never did learn of a way to discourage him, other than a spray bottle. Very quickly, all I had to do was reach for it and he'd desist and run.
Heidi

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

ingenious little buggers, aren't they?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Premier Cat

I am certain they do it to get our attention. Don't tell me cats can't think and plan!
Mister knew some of the things he did infuriated me and did them anyways. I guess he thought even bad attention was good.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Banned

I'm sorry, I just had to laugh, it was so funny picturing this in my mind.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Martell's the same! He does it, then waits to see if I move... if I sit up, he runs.

Then he waits until I lay back down and sneaks back in to do it again.
That little turd.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Premier Cat

Aren't they terrible? Must be why we love them so much...

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by morea
That little turd.
That's hilarious. I love it.

Ariel was in the habit of scratching on chairs to get our attention... and I know that's all it was because she has perfectly lovely scratchers that she uses. But we couldn't exactly ignore her at the expense of our chairs. We bought her some soft claws so that we can ignore her, and for a week she was so perplexed... she would scratch the chair, then wait for our reaction... when none was forthcoming, she would scratch again... meow... scratch some more.... and trot off, obviously to try to hatch a new destructive plan.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 12:49 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseplaypen
Quote:
Originally Posted by morea
That little turd.
That's hilarious. I love it.

Ariel was in the habit of scratching on chairs to get our attention... and I know that's all it was because she has perfectly lovely scratchers that she uses. But we couldn't exactly ignore her at the expense of our chairs. We bought her some soft claws so that we can ignore her, and for a week she was so perplexed... she would scratch the chair, then wait for our reaction... when none was forthcoming, she would scratch again... meow... scratch some more.... and trot off, obviously to try to hatch a new destructive plan.
Of course the little rascals think and plan ahead. How could they hunt and catch prey otherwise?
The challenge to us as pets of these felions is to channel that innate craftiness into something more constructive.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunterkat
...felions...
Hmmm. Sometimes I think of mine as "felons".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page