Accident or Intent - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Accident or Intent

Hi, firstly I have been reading through the wealth of info on this forum and think its great!

We have a lovely desexed male ragdoll 14 months named Monty.

3 Months ago, we moved house. Monty adapted to the new house with unrivaled ease and was soon king of the castle being his normal ratbag self.

4 Weeks ago, my stepson came to visit and stay with us. He has been around Monty on and off since he was a kitten and the seem to get on well.

Last week, we noticed that Monty had pee'd on my stepsons bed. This had never occurred before so we thought it probably an accident. A week went by without further incident. Last night, he struck again.

Recently we have also noticed that Monty will go into this room, jump on the bed and meow until my stepson goes in and gives him a pat normally after which he comes out, only to run back in a few minutes later and repeat the process. We had thought this was a game, but perhaps it is something more

He is the only cat in the house and is restricted to indoors so other cats should not be an influencing factor.

We are trying to work out what the cause of this behaviour (the peeing on the bed) as these 2 recent occurences are the only ones that have occured as Monty has been excellent in using his litter tray since we got him as a kitten.

Any advice or tips on how to change this behabiour would be greatfully accepted.

Regards
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

When a cat suddenly starting to pee outside the box the most likely cause is a urinary tract issue; infection or crystals. So the first step would be to get him checked out at the vet. I know it seems odd that there was a week in between episodes, but I had a similar situation with Kobi when he was a kitten...he would go 3-4 days between episodes, but eventually it escalated (I didn't think it could be a UTI as he was only 14 weeks old, so I fooled around working on behavioral issues...I was wrong )

So rule out the obvious first. Also, make sure you clean all the bedding and mattress with an enzyme type cleaner like Nature's Miracle. If you don't the scent will linger and he will think it's an OK place to go. Make sure to really soak the mattress, because the pee will have penetrated, just treating the surface doesn't do it.

Welcome to the forum and post some pics of Monty...we love pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Doodlebug. We will get Monty to the vet ASAP and see what that reveals. Hopefully it is nothing serious and hopefully Monty doesn't have any dominance issues as we are expecting a baby in March which he will no doubt need to adjust to. Hopefully he will be able to do this without peeing

Will post some picis later today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Banned

It sounds like he was trying to tell you something's wrong in the only way he knows how.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 11:48 PM

Yup, the only time my cat peed on anything was when he had a UTI. Thankfully I had learned on this forum that I should have him checked out.

Hooray for Cat forum!

Good luck!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 07:13 PM

My cat kept peeing on the bathroom rug. It just started (what seemed to be) all of a sudden and was quite frequent. The vet said he was fine so we started thinking of other things it could be. Then it hit me... my husband thought the litter box was stinky, so he made me get this covered litterbox. I took the cover off of the litterbox and immediately the cat stopped peeing on the rug. So if you cat checks out okay at the vet, perhaps you should thinking about whether or not you changed something on him and he doesn't like it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Hello again,

Thought I'd give an update on Monty.

We took him to the vet and the good news is that he does not have a UTI.

The bad news is, the vet proceeded to tell my wife that its a behavioural problem and he will need this shot "vet administers shot at this point" . I beleive the shot is called MTB or something. There was no discussion or no opportunity given for my wife to ask any questions like "are there any side effects etc.

Any way, shot now given so Monty is bought home. By this time he is panting like a dog and hyper ventalating. It was a hot day, but he has never been like this. we ring vet back and he says nothing to worry about he should be better in an hour.

Whatever this shot was, it does much more than calm the cat, it removes their personallity. for 3 days Monty slept and di dnot do much else. He is't the least interested in games or his toys (which he loved) and rarely speaks now. He has improved a bit over the last 24 hours but still is not himself.

We are going to try putting some plastic over the bed that he had pee'd on to see if it deters him from jumping up and in the mean time we will keep our fingures crossed that Monty gets his personality back soon as we are told the drug lasts about 6 months.

In the meantime, we will be looking for a new vet.

Cheers
Andy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 01:35 AM
Premier Cat

Wow Andy I would be very upset at that vet and his unprofessional behavior. Certainly he should have asked permission before giving the shot And it lasts for 6 months

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page