Young male problems - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Young male problems

our 2 year old boy cat has had it in for one of our 11 yr old girl cats since the start and we can't stop him - no matter how much we tell him no, distract him etc, as soon as he thinks we're not looking, he'll be at it again - chasing her and Fudge growls and swipes at him, but he won't stop

he also still insists on scratching at the bedroom door every night and jumping up at the handle which scares the life out of us!

any suggestions as my husband is starting to talk about rehoming Jasper

we've tried Feliway and also some homeopathic drops from the vet but they've not worked

oh and everyone's been neutered!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Cool Cat

Maybe you could give a feline behaviorist a try?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

I assume he's a recent addition? How long has this been going on? Did you do a proper introduction (isolating him, exchange of bedding, short periods of being together etc.)? Why are you keeping him out of the bedroom at night (just don't like cats in the BR or some other reason)? Is Fudge isolated from the BR as well?

Can you tell us more specifics about the situation...it will help guide the recommendations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Banned

Is Fudge afraid of him? Hides from him, looks to see if he's there before entering a room, slinks around the outside of a room he's in. Has he ever hurt her?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
I assume he's a recent addition? How long has this been going on? Did you do a proper introduction (isolating him, exchange of bedding, short periods of being together etc.)? Why are you keeping him out of the bedroom at night (just don't like cats in the BR or some other reason)? Is Fudge isolated from the BR as well?

Can you tell us more specifics about the situation...it will help guide the recommendations.
we've had him since he was 8 weeks old so we've been like this for the guts of 2 years! Did all the proper intros and they were fine - Fudge was a bit wary of him as he was new, but he was absolutely fine with her, it's only been since he grew to full size

he's never hurt her he just always jumps on her and tries to take a bite out of her but all he gets is fur!

she'll walk into the room fine, but if he jumps up near her, she's instantly on edge

we stopped letting the cats in the room because 3 cats on the bed was beginning to get a bit crowded not to mention the hair issue! plus with Jasper chasing Fudge in the night it was getting ridiculous
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

2 years old is when cats reach 'social maturity' and the point when a younger cat is likely to challenge the alpha cat for position. Is Fudge the alpha cat (or was she the alpha when you only had two?). It sounds as if he is constantly trying to establish his hierarchy.

The other possibility is that Fudge has something going on medically that may be in initial stages that you haven't detected symptoms, but Jasper has. Cats are a survival of the fittest type animal and the healthy ones may attack the weaker ones. If you have any suspicions of Fudge having something medical going on, you probably ought to get her to a vet to be checked out.

Assuming Fudge is OK physically. One thing you can do it put a collar with a bell on Jasper. Then Fudge will always know where he is and have some advance warning of his approach. She won't get surprised.

You might want to read Cat vs Cat by Pam Bennett-Johnson (or Johnson Bennett...I can never remember which order and I'm too lazy to get my butt off the couch to go look for the book ). This is a book on managing a multi-cat household. I learned a lot from it.

I have a similar situation with Kobi, he's a very lagre (17 lbs) dominant male and finds it necessary to flex his muscle on a regular basis. I would try punishment tactics with him (time outs, witholding of attention immediately after an incident etc.). Didn't seem to have much impact. Then there was a thread here a few weeks ago where someone suggested that attacking the other cats was a bid for attention and even negative attention was better than no attention. So the recommendation was to first to catch the offender thinking about causing an incident, deflect him and immediately shower him with attention. I've been taking that approach and it actually seems to be working better. I've also been making sure to give him some extra one on one attention...he loves to be brushed and instead of once a week, I now brush him for just a few minutes every morning...not very long at all, but that really seems to make him happy.

I hope some of this helps....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page