Okay Guys, need your genius help again here. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Okay Guys, need your genius help again here.

Most of you know our story. We adopted a new cat about 2 weeks ago. He has been confined to a bathroom for the past week and half. In the evening before bed we've been acquainting him with the other 2 cats for a couple hours each night. Some nights are better than other but last night I thought we'd made some progress. They were all sitting in my office with me, no hissing or yelling for the most part. We shower the other 2 cats with love and affection to reassure them that we love them and they are not being replaced. Jake has been fine for the most part. He might be angry if Levi oversteps a boundary but then he gets over it. Mike has be surly to say the least. I really think he is mad as ****, to put it frankly.

Two days ago Mike took a poo in the corner of the room. He did it right in front of me so I assumed he was angry at me. He's done this on a few other occasions (left us Mike Specials). His box is completely clean. Even when he had diarrhea and was wearing a surgery cone he used the box religiously. When he doesn't use it, it's definitely intentional. (I believe.) This AM I found another Mike Special on the door mat in another room. I am baffled. I clean all areas with enzyme cleaners. He is not urinating, marking. He is doing that in his box, thank god. Should I speak to a vet? The stools are completely normal from what I can tell. He shouldn’t have worms etc. they never go outside. Has anyone else experienced a cat who has exhibited anger this way? I don’t what know what to do. This introduction has been especially difficult mainly due to Mike. Jake is so mellow that when we introduced Jake to Mike it was fast and painless. I realize it will take time but are these really bad signs that Mike may never accept Levi in the house?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Banned

Well, I think you're mistaken in assuming it's anger. A feline behaviorist would agree with that. It'd be more accurate to put it down to stress. And it may be a marking behavior. Male cats do mark their territory with feces as well as urine.

Your plan of supervised "get aquainted" sessions isn't the recommended way of introducing a new cat into the household. I can't tell from your post what else you've done leading up to this point. But perhaps it might be instructive to do some research on new cat introductions and begin again from the beginning before this behavior gets too ingrained to reverse.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the post, Tim. I guess we just need to move more slowly. I thought were were moving slowly but I guess not slow enough for the cats.

We've been following the typical cat introduction procedures. New cat has his own bathroom to for sleeping, eating, litterbox. He was confined for 5 days. Cats smelled each other on opposite sides of the door etc. I moved bedding and blankets back and forth, let cats explore cat areas without the other cats around. New cat smelled house with existing cats locked up. Existing cats got to smell new cats room without new cat in room. Cats smelled each other on opposite sides of the door etc. The meetings each night are basically new cat gets let out to interact, we don't make them stay in a room together they just roam the house. If anything gets too intense with hissing etc we put Levi back in his bathroom.

Right now 2 cats (actually the 2 who are having a harder time together) are sitting in my office together. They are ignoring one another and things are okay. I think I need to stop stressing because I think the cats are sensing it. If need be we'll start again from the beginning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Banned

OK, that's all the right steps. When you were doing all that, were you just doing it on a schedule, or did you wait to proceed with the next step until you judged the cats were ready for it? I had one rough intro where I did all the right steps, but I did them faster than one of the cats was ready for.

Continuing to separate them when antagonism is shown is the correct thing to do right now. And continue to associate the new cat with good things for the resident cats. Treats, playtime, attention. They need to know that the new cat isn't going to be competing for any of those things. I suppose you could start over if you feel it's the best thing to do, but you're on the scene and have to judge for yourself whether that's the thing to do or whether it just needs more time.

If you're seeing progress, even if it's progress with minor setbacks, then you're doing OK. But if each setback takes you back to square one, then maybe you do need to go slower or start over.

If Mike continues to have more of these "accidents" then he might be the one who needs to be separated out for a while. If you've got a good working relationship with a vet, perhaps you want to just call and run the situation by him/her and see if you can get any input without having to come in and pay for an office visit.

Keep us posted......
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

It doesn't sound as if things are going awful. How old is Levi, from his pics he doesn't look like a kitten....intros of adults usually take a bit longer than with kittens. You really have to expect that it may take 2 or 3 months to completely settled down. As Tim said, if you are making progress and don't go completely back to the beginning when there's a skirmish, then things are OK. Some hissing and an occassional whack is going to happen.

I brought Holly home on Nov 1 and it's only been in the last 2 weeks or so that Maggie doesn't hiss at her anymore. Although she still gives her a whack once in a while just because...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Banned

Yes, but Maggie isn't pooping in the corner.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

To answer questions...we aren't on any schedule. When the cats were able to see each other when we would open the door to see Levi with no hissing we left the door open etc and progressed to next step. Some nights there is no hissing and then one night might not be so great. Last night when they were all in my office being nice they got treats. My guys aren't big into playing. Mike will play with catnip mice by himself. Bat them around chase them etc. (We've tried lots of toys. They are older. They have absolutely no interest in the laser toy, string balls, etc.) I discovered that Levi and Jake will do the feather toy together. That is about it. Mike doesn't play that way. They're tough.

Levi is 5 years. Mike 7 and Jake is 11. I don't think it's going terribly, just concerned with the 2 incidents of B.M. outside the box on Mike's part. That totally throws me off because generally I think we're making progress, slow but steady. Maybe we're moving too fast for Mike though. We can always slow it down for him. He's sleeping now and Jake and Levi have been out and about and acting normal. I guess I'll just watch out for more surprises by Mike and judge how I feel things are going. I'll update you as we go. Thanks guys!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Banned

Sounds like a good plan.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Poop in box today, YAY! Stay tuned.

Cats are pretty cool with each other today so far. All roaming free. No big fights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page