Training your cat to use the human toilet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Training your cat to use the human toilet

I recently purchased the toilet training kit (Litter Kwitter) which I guess is similar to the CitiKitty kit. My 2yo female cat, Star, has been using it since the 22nd of January. She is on stage one with the litter kwitter on the toilet (she has adjusted well from the covered litter box to the litter kwitter on the toilet). However, she has twice urinated over the edge and the urine ends up on the floor (haven't had any problems with poop). I keep the litter kwitter and the area very clean.

My question - how do you get your cat to pee in the center of the litter kwitter?

Has anyone had any luck with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 09:16 AM

My only advice is to use a standard old litter box. A cat using a toilet is very unnatural. They instinctually bury their waste by digging.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Premier Cat

My Sam used the toilet if he felt his litterbox was too smelly, then he'd complain to me because he much preferred his litter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Cool Cat

What I wouldn't give for a bunch of "unnatural" cats using the toilet!

Now someone needs to come up with a fitted high dome cover for the toilet seat to avoid 'spillage'.

Sorry, dgflightnurse, I don't have any ideas. I've often wondered how most cats would purposely aim just right, because they would most likely want to have all four feet placed on the seat for good balance, instead of hunching up on the rim with all feet close together so that only the butt end is over the opening.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Premier Cat

Someone here a long time ago was trying to train their cats to do that. I think in the end they stopped.
It puts the cat into an un-natural and very uncomfortable position to try and do their business in. Cats are not built to be trying to squat over the rim of a toilet, and so will find it quite difficult.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Cat Addict

I tried it several years ago, when there were only 4 cats here (Note: When only half of them are interested, its' really hard to do)

Mischief and Etcetera were actually catching onto the device, until the day that Mischief was using it, and Etcetera decided to hop up there as well, to see if she could provide any assistance, coaching, or just good advice.

With both well-nourished cats standing on it, the cheap little expander arms that fit over the rim of the toilet snapped off.......there was a crash, a splash, and two wet and incredibly irritated cats with wet litter sticking to them, came rocketing out of the bathroom, with a shower curtain, 2 rolls of toilet tissue and a handful of cotton swaps caught in the vortex they created. This strange looking blur zoomed through the house and dove under the bed in the master bedroom.

To this day, Etcetera will not even use a normal litterbox if it's in that bathroom. She will use one of the others elsewhere.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Premier Cat

I can just picure a cartoon tornado of bathroom debris following them.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Cool Cat

I know how cats hate to be laughed at, even way after the fact, so I apologize to them......but visualizing that CATastrophy is way too funny! If you had been able to capture that on film, you would be super rich.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Jr. Cat

dgflightnurse, I'm really curious to hear how things go with this....

Normally, this is not something that I would have considered. But I have a cat that sometimes goes outside the litterbox and the best conclusion that we've been able to draw is that he doesn't like the urine to run onto his paws. When he does use the box, he backs way up into the corner and sprawls his legs out. When he goes outside the box, he chooses places where the urine will run underneath something and not flow back towards his feet. He doesn't necessarily choose repeat places--just someplace that looks like it'll keep his paws clean (I can't say I blame him).

So I saw one of these online today, and was thinking that perhaps it would be useful as an alternative place for him to go--but not as a replacement for the regular litterbox. So I'm curious to hear some thoughts on this idea.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Moving on to stage II

Well, I have an update. I moved on to stage two (the amber stage).

After viewing the video, again, I determined the goals of stage I:
1) getting the cat accustomed to going into the bathroom to toilet (that was the location of Star's old litter box) and
2) get them accustomed to jumping up on the toilet.

These two goals being accomplished, I moved on to Stage II (and after a couple more incidents of urine on the floor). I used an enzyme product (Kids n Animals....or something like that) that rid of any stench quite well.

So, I'll keep you posted as to how she adapts to stage II. She will no longer be able to stand in the center and make her aim towards the perimeter, therfore, I'm hopeful the waste will fall into the toilet. She is quite curious as to what that hole is and what is down there.

As I don't have children, I can only assume that once a child is potty trained, one feels quite a sense of relief. I'm looking forward to that stage and when I'm feeling discouraged I think of what it will be like to have a cat that uses the toilet.

Apparently, there are breeders that are training their kittens to use the toilet - I think it is the CityKitty. Interesting. AND, people are lining up to purchase a cat that has been toilet trained!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page