Walk The Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Walk The Cat

...have you ever wanted to walk your cat? Anyone do that..or is it an unspoken and wierd thing to do when you want to do it so bad????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Banned

....walking my cat.....

edit->to replace image
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Cool Cat

I take my cats out on a harness in good weather, and keep them far away from the road.

The thing with walking a cat is that they won't normally follow YOU around like a dog would, you sort of have to wander around behind them with a firm grip on the leash. My cats also like to roll a lot.

Another thing to be careful about is that it can make an otherwise content indoor-only cat want to be outdoors... I know that Martell would try to slip out the door any time I left the house for a while at first. Fortunately, I would go out of my house through the garage, and I wouldn't open the garage until the house door was safely closed. That way if he ever got out the door, it was just a matter of chasing him around the garage until I caught him and put him back inside.

You obviously have to be careful of other animals if you take your cat out, and if you are in a high traffic area, be careful. Even if you aren't near the road the traffic can spook your cat and make him bolt.

Be sure to get a good fitting harness... not too tight, not too loose. A harness is a must, never attach a leash to your cat's collar.

Also, be aware that some cats just don't like it. I never take former ferals outside, just to be cautious... and Tyrael is terrified if I take him out, he is much happier to sleep on a sunny windowsill.

Here are a couple of pictures from the last time I took these guys out walking:

(and of course, the first thing Martell did was run over to a hot, sandy spot and roll in the dirt...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Cool Cat

lol, Tim... why am I not surprised?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Cool Cat

I've tried taking both my cats out on a harness when we were living in our apartment, and it wasn't a big hit. Jasmine sort of flattened herself on the ground and refused to move, and Ariel ran under a car and hid. They were also afraid of the elevator ride down (cowering in the corner and crying) so I had to carry them up five flights of stairs.

I suppose if I'd kept taking them out, they would have gotten used to it, but it didn't seem worth the despairing looks and "Mummy, pleeease take me back to our safe little apartment now."

And now that we live in a house, I'm nervous about trying again because like morea said, I don't want to them to get a taste for the outdoors and become door darters. I took Ariel out a couple of times to let her look at the koi pond, but she wasn't even that interested.

And about the harness, too... if your cat is long-haired, I would err on the side of too-tight rather than too-loose... I thought I had tightened Ariel's harness enough one day, but she managed to slip out of it somehow... reminded me of trying to put a girth on a horse.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Premier Cat

Sometimes I used to take Sam for walks around the apartment complex where we lived at the time. Sam didn't need a harness, all i had to do was tell him to stay close.
Sam's favorite walk was at a bike path on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain. It was little used at the time, and Sam could run off to explore and hunt while i enjoyed the scenery. He'd run back to me with a 'present' in his mouth sometimes. And when it was time to leave he'd run to me when i called him.
Mind you Sam was an excptionally smart and loyal kitty.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Banned

Why is it they always find the dirtiest places to roll around in?

I thought that's a DOG thing.......
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Premier Cat

It's probably just a 'feels good' thing. Sam would pick dry, fine dirt to roll around in and get all dusty. He loved that.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Premier Cat

I used to walk Snickers. LOL, he was so big that I had to buy a small dog harness to fit around him

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:56 AM

Love all the pictures!
I have a friend who used to take her cat out at 1am in his harness because nobody was around. She said they went up the Old Town high street and he was sniffing in all the shop doorways. She also said when they went up a footpath to a grass area, he was rolling like mad!

Unfortunatly the last time they went out a dog was barking and poor Jim pooped himself. Now he wont go out and she`s not sure if she should keep trying. He really loved it. He`d be waiting at the door when it was time to go.

I couldnt help wondering what the people thought that operate the towns CCTV!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page