Is my cat trying to gain something?! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Is my cat trying to gain something?!

I have two cats, one male and female. My male cat like to urinate right infront of the opening of the kitty litter box before the female cat gets in there so she has to walk on his urine to get in there. Why is that? Is he trying to claim something? My cat's urine has this really bad smell to it, is there something I should be doing differently or is that just how male cat's urine is supposed to smell??

Another question I had was my female cat is vomming everywhere, we don't give her that much food anymore because she's been getting it all over the carpet anyways, is there some kind of special cat food to be giving these cats or what??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Cool Cat

how old are the cats? Are they spayed and neutered? It sounds like territorial marking behavior of a male trying to mate. Neutered males don't have such foul smelling urine, and don't mark the way that intact males do.

Have you taken the female to the vet to rule out a serious problem causing the vomiting? Is she losing weight? It could actually be caused by an allergy to the particular food you are feeding. Many cats have sensitivity to certain foods, like fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

The male cat I think Is around 6 years old, the female 7 maybe 8? They are both spayed/neutered. My cat's don't usually get along very well. The female cat hisses at everybody that comes around it, except my mother.

The female cat is not losing weight, that I know of. She was really really fat, so we cut down the food supply and now she's getting a little skinny but she still has that underbelly thing that hangs down??

Is there a certain brand of cat food that's good for cats that you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Cool Cat

Some cats just eat too much or too quickly and make themselves sick, but other times it can be a sign of an underlying medical problem... especially if it happens a lot. When a cat who is very heavy starts to lose weight she can develop serious health problems like hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease). I would seriously think about getting her to the vet to have her checked up, just to be on the safe side.

Actually, most of the time when a cat stops using a litter box there is a medical reason. One of my cats started this recently, so I took him to the vet. I was concerned, because a cat's normal instinct is to bury its waste when it goes to the bathroom so predators don't fint it. It turned out he had a urinary tract infection, and he associated the pain from urinating with being in the litter box. The vet gave him antibiotics and he got better and went right back to using the litter box normally.

Have you had the cats very long? It can be normal for them to hiss and act up like this if they are under a lot of stress, which can be caused by all sorts of things, like a new person coming around, or moving to a new place.

Do you just have one litter box? If the male is marking, adding a second litter box might help. He could be "claiming" that box as his territory, so if she had another litter box to use he might stop.

I feed my cats a canned food called Eagle Pack. After studying pet nutrition a lot, I have learned that a quality canned food is a lot healthier for cats than dry food. Here is a list of some quality canned foods... the Eagle pack does have some grains in it, so it is less expensive and still a nutritious solution.

http://www.catinfo.org/commercialcanned ... NNED_FOODS

(The information on why canned food is better than dry is here, if you are interested: https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9107 )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page