feuding cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

feuding cats

Help. Last Friday my 7 year old neutered tom got seriously upset, and my 4 yr old neutered female decided to make it worse by getting aggressive. By the time it was over Isaac is setting in the corners squawling and growling at everybody--including me! Sophie had kind of calmed down, and my oldest 14 yr old ignored everyone, but my 2 yearold didn't know how to deal and kept growling back. I separated Isaac from everybody for a few days and thought I had got him back to normal, but he's still going off in hissy fits at Rudi. Sometimes he'll be playing away with the feather toy and then realize Rudi's around and start tuning up. They had all got along fine til now, in fact Isaac was 'big brother' to the other 2 and cuddled and played with both of them. I've tried everything I can think up except Valium and I'm about ready to try that on me and the cats. All suggestions welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Bizabet....do you know the exact circumstances when Isaac first became upset? I'm wondering if it could be a case of re-directed aggression...possibly he saw another cat in the yard and since he couldn't directly protect his territory, is taking his frustration out on the other cats. Coaster seems to be our residient 'expert' on this phenomena, maybe he'll offer an opinion or you can PM him....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Actually I was fussing at him because he had decided to hiss at me (the generic leave me alone for no reason hiss), he ran off to the den hissing and Sophie decided to get in on the fun. SHe's done that before--it's like she thinks she can move up the totem pole bec someone else is in trouble--anyway, she jumped Isaac, he got madder and all the hoorah upset the 2 year old. Sophie and Bonnie and Isaac are all fine--Sophie and Isaac haven't gotten back to the buddy stage but at least there's not active hostilities.

Isaac and Rudi--I don't know what's going on there. If I get out the toys and play, they'll play right beside each other for a bit, and then Isaac looks at Rudi and it's like he remembers that he doesn't like him, and starts growling and hissing. If Rude ignored him, all would be ok, but Rudi starts hissing back. The real issues happen if Isaac goes into another room and Rudi follows him. I think Isaac feels trapped and he really tunes up. It seems to be ok if he follows Rudi. Unfort'ly, Rudi is still young enough that he wants to know whats going on in all the other rooms, so he automatically follows Isaac.

I kept them separated for a couple of days before trying to reintroduce. Maybe I needed to make that longer? I have a room wiht a screen door where they can see and smell but can't get to each other, and they are fine thru the door (the first couple of days Isaac would hiss at Rudi if he saw him.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page