Cat peed in front of me and now constantly visiting litter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Cat peed in front of me and now constantly visiting litter

Hi all,

I'm a bit concerned. My 2.5 year old cat just peed in front of me. And now in the last 35 minutes, has gone to the litterbox about 5 or 6 times, and sits to urinate, but nothing comes out.

We haven't changed his diet, or litter. The litterbox is clean.

We have another cat (5 months old), since November, but the 2.5 year old has never displayed this behaviour before.

Not sure what to do, should I call the vet?

Thanks.

UPDATE:
He's at the vet now. He's "boarding" there until he pees, so they can collect a urine sample.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Premier Cat

YES, CALL THE VET!
It sounds like kitty has a urinary infection or blockage. This can very quickly turn painful and/or fatal if left untreated. Kitty needs to see the vet today.

Kitty peeing in front of you was his way of telling you something is wrong with him. Him going to the box multiple times with no results is evidence that something is wrong.
Heidi

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Heidi is spot on...getting him to the vet today is very important....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 05:36 PM

Yup, get him into the vet and tell them you suspect a urinary blockage when you call and you need an urgent appointment. If they don't accomodate you, call another vet and keep calling until you find one who will see your cat. Urinary blockages are an urgent issue and cannot be put off.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Banned

Good move....the right thing to do. I hope your kitty will be all right. Let us know what the vet finds out.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

I haven't heard back from the vet yet...my poor Reggie must miss me. But I'll keep you posted as to what was wrong with him.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

So the vet said that Reggie has a bladder infection, and there was small traces of crystals.

They prescribed him two weeks worth of "Colomax" (I don't think that's how it's spelled, I just don't have it near me right now).

And they recommened a diet change for the crystals. So he's going to eat "Urine SO" food for now on.

The vet believes we caught it early enough that it won't lead to trouble, but we have to monitor him over the next few weeks, and bring him back for another urinalaysis.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Banned

Congrats on the early diagnosis and treatment!! Your kitty should be just fine. The same thing happened to my Twinkie and he's just fine, now.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 01:57 AM
Premier Cat

Yea! I'm glad Reggie will be on the mend. Sounds like 'clavamox' is what you'll be giving him...
If it is in a dropper, I have had luck with scruffing and either lifting the kitty straight up (but still with back legs on floor) and inserting the dropperful, hold kitty until they swallow.
Or I scruff them and lay them on their side on the kitchen floor (linoleum) and insert the dropper into the corner of their mouth and then hold them until they swallow.
One kitty I needed to sit in a chair, scruff and lay them upside down on my lap and then put in the meds. Holding until they swallow.
The "chainsaw" I cover with a towel, sit on the towel ends to pin him down and then medicate him any way I can!

I hope Reggie is an easy med-taker.
h

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 02:45 AM
Premier Cat

Heidi n Q wrote:
Quote:
The "chainsaw"...
That is TOO funny!!
jtjp, I'm so glad you caught it early. What a lucky kitty to have you!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page