Please Help Me! Cat Peeing on Bed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Please Help Me! Cat Peeing on Bed

Heres the situation: My boyfriend and I use to leave our bedroom door open when we went to bed, but lately our one cat Harley will pee on the bed. So we decided to shut the door. Now Harley and our other cat Giz will dig up the carpet and scratch at the door. My boyfriend gets up at 4am to go to work. They have been waking him up anywhere between 1am and 3:30am. He feeds them, then comes back to bed, but they just keep diggin and scratching. Were clueless on what to do! Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Cool Cat

Harley needs to see a vet to be tested for a UTI or crystals, which could be the cause of the innapropriate urination.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Well he does use his litter box, but he only pees on this one blanket we have, however we dont trust him being in the room while we are asleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

If Harley has always used his litter box in the past and you haven't changed anything (litter brand, location of box, added a new cat to the house, had a person move in or out etc.) then you are likely dealing with a urinary tract issue, either an infection or crystals. So the first thing you should do is get Harley to the vet. Chances are that will address the problem and you won't have to keep him locked out of the room any more.

Make sure you clean the spots he has peed on with an enzymatic type cleaner (Nature's Miracle or similar). You'll really need to soak the mattress spots, pour on enough so it sinks down in as far as the pee would have gone. Just treating the surface isn't enough. Cats can still smell the pee and may think that it's an OK spot to go or try to over mark with their own scent.

BTW...I'm assuming this is truly peeing as opposed to spraying. Harley is neutered, correct?

For future reference, by getting up and feeding them, your boyfriend is reinforcing the digging and scratching behavior. Just like a kid, if you do something annoying and get rewarded to stop, the next time you'll do the annoying behavior again. If you need to keep them out of the bedroom, then you have to suffer through a few nights of ignoring them until they get the idea that you won't give in and they give up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Well we dont wanna take a chance at getting Harley nuetured because the vet tested him for feline luekemia and he tested positive only its not active and he said the stress from the anasteshia would most likely trigger it to be active.
I have been using a pet stain spray on our mattress, is there anyway to really get the smell out?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Oh...well, that's a different story. If you choose to not get him neutered, you're probably going to be dealing with cleaning up from spraying behavior on a regular basis. I'm not sure what kind of pet stain remover you're using but if it's not an enzymatic cleaner (it should say so on the label) then it won't take the smell away. The enzymes break down the pee into it's elemental components, which eliminates the smell, if you don't do that, the smell persists. And since he's not neutered, he'll go back to the same spot an re-mark it again and again. Also as I mentioned you need to really soak the mattress with the cleaner, I mean take a half a cup or so and pour it on, not spray it on. BTW...Nature's Miracle comes in gallon jugs, you're probably going to need it...

Regarding keeping him out of the bedroom, you will need to ignore the scratching behavior. That means no yelling to stop it, no giving food, truly making believe it's not happening. It may take a few days or up to a couple weeks before they give it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 04:56 PM

Once you clean your mattress, you may want to try a zip vinyl cover for your bed. I have one on all our beds just in case. That way we are only dealing with the bed covers and not the mattress itself.

I agree that you must not respond to the scratching at the door and totally ignore Harley's behavior. Over time Harley will realize that nothing will happen when he scratches at the door.

I hope this behavior doesn't last too long for you!

Best Wishes-
Christina
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiandchris
Once you clean your mattress, you may want to try a zip vinyl cover for your bed. I have one on all our beds just in case. That way we are only dealing with the bed covers and not the mattress itself.
Doesn't that make you incredibly hot and sweaty? When Callie's IDB had her vomiting all over the place and often on the bed, I put a vinyl lined mattress cover on the bed...it was padded on top with plastic underneath, and I couldn't stand it...

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Cool Cat

When Turvy was going through her issues before being diagnosed with Cognitive disorder, she was forgetting where her litterbox was. I simply put one of those cheap plastic painter's dropcloths over the mattress, then made the bed up normally (bedding I could wash, mattresses are tougher ) I could never even tell it was there.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 09:45 PM

As long as the liner has a padded top, it really is fine for us. I can't even begin to think how difficult it would have been to get urine out of our mattresses with my 2 children going through their toileting stages, etc...it's saved me many times!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page