New to the Forum, Kitten help!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

New to the Forum, Kitten help!!!

Hi there,

I have two boys who are 6 months old and house cats. I have had them since they were 7 weeks and 9 weeks. They are both booked in to be neutered in a weeks time. But i have two problems...

About a month ago they started waking up at 5-6am wanting feeding. They always have dry food down during the night and water. I have tried everything... If they are in the bedroom they just come and pat our faces waking us up to either play or be fed, if they are shut out of the bedroom they just meow, scratch doors to the point that me and my boyfriend give in and either let them in the bedroom or feed them (We shouldnt give in we know!!!) How can i get them to adapt to our sleeping pattern. They are always well played with before bedtime and as an example, last night they were still playing until 1am, then then fell asleep and then woke up at 5am wanting food and playtime. Me and my partner don't need to be up until 7am! This brings me onto....

The second problem. One of the cats is now acting very strange (started a few days ago!. He has turned quite agressive in his behaviour with us, and doesn't want to come for his usual cuddles. He roams around the house meowing and chirping constantly and won't settle down. He has been jumping at doors and meowing and pouncing on imaginary things....

Is this connected with his hormones or is it another problem?

Please help with your advice, i got 5 hours sleep last night....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Cool Cat

Hi xlollx, and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid that I may not be very much help, all my cats are rescues and adoptees, and I just dont' have a lot of kitten experience. It does sound like these two were adopted pretty young though, and it's very possible that they weren't given the full benefits of mom's teaching of social skills.

There are quite a few more members here who have catterys or otherwise deal with kittens quite often that will be much more help than me. I have it made in the fact that I work nights, so cats are naturally attuned to my work/sleep schedule...or me to theirs
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Premier Cat

It sounds like the restless roaming by the one kitty could be a result of his hormones and neutering would alleviate that problem.

As to the waking/feeding in the morning... I also keep dry food available at all times and I feed canned food once a day, however I feed it in the afternoon. If I shut kitties out of the bedroom and they insist on pawing or crying at the door, I do open the door but they get a squirt of water to the face (set to spray, not stream) as a deterrent.
*I only open the door enough to point the squirt bottle, I do not want them to see ME squirting them. I want them to associate crying at the door with getting a squirt, not Mom squirting them at the door.

You may need to change your feeding schedule with the boys, and be determined about shutting them out of the room when you are trying to sleep. You may lose a little bit of sleep while getting them through the adjustment period, but in the long run it will work out for the best.
Heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 05:11 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
...me and my boyfriend give in and either let them in the bedroom or feed them (We shouldnt give in we know!!!) How can i get them to adapt to our sleeping pattern.
Well, I think you've answered your own question. Whatever you decide, whether you let them in the bedroom or not, you have to be firm and consistent. They will learn not to wake you if they don't get attention.
Here's a thread that may be helpful:
https://catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=39536
Hang in there!

Victoria
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Last night i got a full nights sleep without any disturbance (crossing my fingers it wasn't just a one off). I put them into the living room and put their food in a timer feeder which opened around 6am....and success, they didn't wake me up! They were so happy to see me when i let them into the bedroom. They're both booked in to be snipped on Tuesday!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Banned

Nanook took the words right out of my mouth, err.....my keyboard, anyway....quote and all.

Cats will get used to your schedule ONLY if you're 100% consistent. If you give in just once, then they know you might give in again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page