How do I prevent spraying? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

How do I prevent spraying?

Hi,

I do not currently own any cats but my neighbor does. About twice a month, I wake up to the awful smell of cat urine. I know the cat is a pet but do not know the owner.

I once had to put bottles of amonia by the corners of my house to keep skunks away from my dog. Athough it was very effective, I do not know if this would work for cats.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I could use some good suggestions about keeping cats from marking my windows.

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:28 PM

Ammonia won't work for this problem. To a cat it will smell like another cat's urine, so the resident cat marking his territory (spraying) will think it's a new scent he needs to cover up. It will likely make him spray more.

You'll have to instead use something to make your yard distasteful and unattractive to him. There are repellents made for outdoor use, but you'll have to apply them daily or several times a week and that might get expensive if you have a large area to cover. If not, try a granulated form for outdoor use. Another neat product is the Cat Stop device, it emits a sound that will send him running, but it is too high-pitched for humans to hear. It's over 50 bucks, though.

Mothballs pressed into the soil around your window areas might work, but you and everyone else will be able to smell them. If that's not a problem, then great...they're cheap and easy to get.

There are lots of ways to discourage him from marking around your windows, so you'll probably find an easy and humane way to stop him from stinking up your yard. Another possibility is to discuss with your neighbor the benefits of neutering him and keeping him inside should you get a chance to do that. It would be the all-around best solution for everyone involved, especially the cat.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page