My fixed cat is in heat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

My fixed cat is in heat

Is this typical? She's 2 years old, and was fixed a year and a half ago. Since January, she's been in heat twice... Thinking about taking her to the vet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Cool Cat

No, this isn't typical. A cat that has been spayed should never go into heat again. I think a trip to the vet, or at least a call, would be a good idea.

Can you describe how she's been acting during the times you think she was in heat?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

She's doing the "purrow" thing ALL day and night. She won't stop rolling around on the floor. She lays on the ground with her bum in the air, and you can see she is red and swollen.

She was a shelter cat, my records say she was fixed... the vet said they could:
a)shave her belly to see if there is a scar
b)do a blood hormone level test
c)do an exploratory surgery.

(Just got off the phone with them)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Cool Cat

How long have you had her?

Its entirely possible that she hasn't been spayed since it was supposedly done by the shelter or someone else.
If she was spayed, though, the only thing that comes to my mind is that some tissue was left behind and is releasing hormones. If thats the case, she would probably require another surgery to remove it.

What does the vet suggest?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

We're going to the vet tomorrow, and they are going to do the initial stomach shave to look for a scar. If there is a scar, then they do the hormone check through the blood test. If the blood test shows elevated hormone levels, then the next step is surgery
I got her in Aug of 2005. She was 6 months old then, and supposdly, spayed a week before I got her...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Premier Cat

When you got her did she have a shaved patch or anything?
It takes weeks for the fur to grow back so if she didn't I would be almost certain she wasn't spayed.

This is smeagle's scar about a week or so after she was done.

Cats are either done on their side like smeagle or under their belly.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Yup...you definitely would know if she had the surgery the week before you got her. In fact I think they still use stitches that need to be removed (as opposed to melt aways) about 10 days after surgery...so you should have needed to take her in to get them out. (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Cool Cat

I don't know if all vets still use stitches that have to be removed, but ours did when we got our cats fixed about three years ago. So Doodlebug is right - if your cat was only fixed a week before you got her, chances are you would have had to bring her back to get the stitches out. Especially if it was the shelter that had her fixed - I think the "melting" stitches are more expensive, and therefore less likely to be used.

Our cats' incisions weren't as visible as Smeagle's - they were only about half an inch long, if that - but the shaved area was at least the size of my palm. Ours had their incisions on their belly.

What I wonder though - and maybe someone can fill me in - is it strange that an intact cat would only have gone into heat twice in a year and a half? I would guess that she would have come into heat earlier, no? All my cats were fixed at an early age, so I have no experience with cats in heat.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseplaypen
What I wonder though - and maybe someone can fill me in - is it strange that an intact cat would only have gone into heat twice in a year and a half? I would guess that she would have come into heat earlier, no? All my cats were fixed at an early age, so I have no experience with cats in heat.
Yes...basically it looks like she didn't go into heat until she was almost 2 years old...which is way beyond the typical age of 7-8 months. I guess it's possible....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

No, never had to bring her back in for stitch removal... There was def no shaved patch on her side. Don't recall seeing one on her belly, but then again, I cant say for sure. I'll post an update after the vet visit today.

But I had the same thought as horseplaypen... 2 years before going into heat? I don't know... something funky is going on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page