Cat Harness - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Cat Harness

..I bought this harness for Frappy and it is adjustable for most cats..it is a 3/8 in x 18 in....and the ones at the pet store are like a 3/8 in x 16 in...but when I put it on him...he does the crazyiest thing...he stands there and then falls on his side like a tree getting ready to timber..and he jus lays there like he is paralized..very strange..am I tourting my cat????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Cool Cat

Almost every cat I've put a harness on will do exactly that. Just let him run around with it on and he'll get used to it.

I used to dress cats up when I was a kid. Put baby doll clothes on them and push them in a stroller. (My mother should have realized back then that she wasn't getting any human grandchildren from me...... ) They all fell over like fainting goats!

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CataholicsAnonymous
(My mother should have realized back then that she wasn't getting any human grandchildren from me.....

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Premier Cat

It is like the constricting (even though it really isn't tight) harness acts like a mother cat grabbing them by the scruff and they just stiffen up and fall over.

I've also used this knowledge to my advantage...when having to medicate a cat by myself, sometimes I can put a clothespin on their scruff and actually have TWO HANDS to do my task while the clothes pin 'holds' the cat!
Heidi

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 10:51 PM
Banned

Oooooohhhhhh, Heidi........you come up with the greatest suggestions!! I can always use an extra hand.....even if it's wooden with a spring inside!!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Premier Cat

Me?! <laughing> I thought everybody knew about clothespins!
I'm glad I mentioned it...I'm sure it will be helpful information for everyone. I do have to caution though....it doesn't work on all cats. My Mister cat would just slink away with the clothespin attached to his shoulder skin. Most of them, they freeze right up!
h

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Cat Harness...pt 2

ok...i have it on him and he tipped over..then got up and now he is moving really slow and low to the ground...he is walking around like he has diarehha..or a really old cat..only been 10 mins!!!is he alright..or is it possible it is too tight????
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Premier Cat

If you can fit a finger underneath it isn't too tight. He just doesn't like the feel of it and is trying to slink under it...but it is attached to him so he keeps slinking.
Eventually he will get used to how it feels and ignore it.
Heidi

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Cat Harness...pt 3

he is just under my bed..not moving..how long should i let him wear it?..like how many hours a day?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Premier Cat

Maybe just for a half hour to start with, then slowly increase it by 10 minutes every other day or so. You can let him wear it longer when he seems to forget about it.

Maybe give him a treat when you first put it on, eventually try to engage him to play and move around...but that will take some time before he gets used to wearing it. I really don't think it will take too long.

Pretty soon, if he enjoys going outside for the fresh air with it, he will look forward to it. We used a harness/leash for out cats when we moved from WA to GA. We had to stay in an RV park for 5 months until our house closed and we could move in. If the kitties wanted to go outside, we had to use the harness and leash. They all enjoyed being outside so much, they barely paid any mind at all to the harness/leash.
Heidi

ps...after a while, I'd also let him drag the leash around so he can feel it tug on him. I had one cat who would panic if he felt the leash pull on him too quickly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page