drop off cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

drop off cat

ok well here is the story

about a week ago a cat showed up in my yard, i didnt think anything of it.. since i live in the country and cats tend to come around once in a while, but this cat has been hanging around and living in my back yard shed... its a very friendly cat.. not a stray, or barn cat at all, its a house cat.. and possibly pregnant

yesterday i decided to bring it in the house and feed her, i have another cat.. who is 17 years old, and is very bossy... im thinking of keeping the other cat, but i want my cat to get along and be happy too.. im not too sure what to do.. the past 24 hours hasnt been good, all i get out of my 17 year old is growling and hissing... and maybe a few moments of peace, when they are in the same room..

i got them both in different rooms most of the day, and at night the 17 year old sleeps in my room

i have no idea what to do, i feel heart broken that my other cat is mad at me... i dont want to get rid of the new cat either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 12:50 AM
Premier Cat

I think the introduction needs to go slower. Keep them seperated longer before you introduce them. Perhaps you may need to wait until after the kittens are born/weaned if the stray is preggers.
Others here will have better advice. I've always had a houseful of cats and I think it is much easier to integrate newcomers into a herd than a single-cat household.
Heidi

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Please separate them 100% of them time...starting now. The first thing you want to do is take the new kitty to the vet and have her checked out. You don't want her passing any diseases to your existing cat, especially since she is elderly.

Then you will need to do a very slow introduction, I don't have time to write out the details right now...you can google "cat introduction" and get lots of info though.

Chances are, due to the age of your existing kitty this may take quite a while, especially if she's always been an only cat. The pregnancy of the new kitty won't help either. So be prepared for this is be a very slow intro process...many weeks, possibly months. Good luck...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Banned

Your current cat is used to having the whole house as her own private territory. She looks upon the new cat as an intruder and as a threat to everything that's hers. You need to get her used to the new cat very slowly so that she sees the new cat isn't a threat. For right now keep the new cat in a separate room 24 hours a day. Your current cat must not even catch sight of the newcomer.

Meanwhile, google "new cat introduction" and "introducing new cat" to find articles on how to go about introducing the new cat to your current cat so that the two cats will live together in peace. You really only have this one chance to do it right. First impressions are everything for cats. If you try to force them to be together before they're ready then they'll probably always hate each other.

Good luck and have patience.

Added later: the above is sort of my "standard advice" for a cat new problem. But on second thought, I wanted to say a little more about what doodlebug touched on: due to the age of your current cat, it might not be possible, or advisable, to introduce a new cat at all. Even the best introduction might not work. Cats get very set in their ways when they're older. I think it would be a good idea to consider whether you really want to do this. Maybe it would be a better idea to just find another new home for the new cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page