Tazz Attacked by loose dog - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Tazz Attacked by loose dog

Hi Everyone,

You all know me and now I have a serious question to ask you all. Last Friday Tazz was attacked by a loose dog, needless to say I rushed him to the hospital Friday afternoon and upon the initial exam. the vet did not find any external damage. The next day I gave tazz a bath because he was covered in urine from the attach and that is when I noticed a lump on his right rear hip. I took him to another emergency hospital at which they did an ultra sound of his hip and found he has a hematoma / fluid in his hip.

The vet gave me some anti-inflammatory liquid to give him but he is still in pain and you can see it when he tries to jump or climb. In addition his whole demeanor has changed to being scared of the slightest noise or movement. He hides frequently and doesn't not even talk anymore. My question is, what can I do for him at this point? I figure the hip will heel given enough time but what can I do for him to ease his fear of every little noise?

I have been looking online for some answers but have not come up with any yet EXCEPT that I did order some Feliaway Spray which one of the vets said would help with his anxiety. So, if any of you have anything to offer, please give me a hollar.

Thanks Much!!

Clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Banned

I think that time will heal the trauma from the attack, Clint. Along with the healing from the physical injury that's giving him pain. Just give him some time and space and avoid any other incidents that might frighten him. He'll just have to learn that his world hasn't changed and that everything is still just fine. Which he will in time.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Clint...I agree with Tim, he just needs time to get over it. He may be hiding because he's still in pain. Give him his quiet time and lots of lovin'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Premier Cat

Poor Taz is in pain. That and the trauma from the attack are the reasons for his insecurity. If you can get some appropriate pain meds from the vet to make him feel comfortable that might help him feel more secure, too. Lots of lovin' and gentle care will turn him around; it just takes time.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Cat Addict

Sending hugs and prayers!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the well wishes and words of wisdom!! Tazz is doing much better today, I think the meds (Metacam) the vet gave me for him have helped a lot. Yesterday was his last day on the meds so we'll see how he feels this afternoon.

Thanks Again Folks!!

Clint
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Cool Cat

I hope Tazz will be feeling better and back to his normal self soon!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell
I hope Tazz will be feeling better and back to his normal self soon!
He's getting back to his normal self ALTHOUGH he's still a bit slow and freakish with noises. I got the Feliaway today in the mail and you would be surprised how well it works.

Clint
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 12:45 AM
Premier Cat

I'm glad Taz is feeling better. Just remember that spot will be sore for a while if it's anything like a hematoma in a human.
I know from experience.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Just a quick update to tell you Tazz is doing MUCH better!! After about 3 days on the NAISD he stated to not be so sore and was jumping around on all the low furniture. He's not quite back to normal buts he's getting there.

Clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page