Not sure about this - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Not sure about this

My latest little rescue is only about 6 weeks old , an elderly lady found her as a newborn and bottllefed her , she needed a home for this baby as she couldnt manage a busy kitty and her sons dogs were a problem.

I know we would have issues , having no mother she didnt know cats , she hadnt been sozilsed very well .. but to me those are minor details and easily fixed with time and patience.

As it happens she gets on perfectly well with my cats and it took her exactly 2 days to settle down.

But she still wants to suck ... and she does it at night on our blanket.. her sucking doesnt bother me in the slighest .... but what I need to know is this..... do I discourage her , do I leave her until she is older and then start to discourage her ?????? Its ony at night ..... and I feel sorry for her .....

Other than that she eats well , she is playful and is a sweetheart ....i dont really want to discourage her until its necessary ....

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Since she's still so young...how about bottle feeding her some kitten formula before bed...it might give her the comfort she needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 07:42 PM

Just ask your vet for advise. He/she knows the best what needs to happen en can also see or the cats diet is sufficient for her. I don't expect a shortage what leads to her behaviour, but you never know. Angel was almost 6 weeks when I got her and she grew over this kind of behaviour after a while.

A friend of mine is 'fostermum' for young feral cats, so they can socialize. Her own cats are acting like a real catmum, although they never had own kittens, but it took a while before they were used to the little ones. The kitten will learn many things (including the bad ones) from your other cats.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

The sucking is probably because your kitten was weened too early. My cat, Oliver is almost 4 years old and he still suckles on my soft fleece blanket on the bed. He gets all into it, his paws are so happy with the blanket too and he purrs real loud. The blanket and suckling remind them of their momma.

Don't feel bad...they are happy when they do this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Premier Cat

Husband and I rescued three kittens from an outbuilding of an old dairy farm we rented in California. I still have Silver, though Mister and Toby have passed on...

They were very small when we took them from the granary, possibly 6 weeks old. I did not bottle feed them, I started them on canned food and dry kitten food free choice. We had a young cat (our first rescue) named Inky who was just over a year old and he took to the babies right away. He would let them suckle on his tummy.
Sil and Toby suckled, but I never saw Mister do it. After a few weeks, we lost Inky to the road (and decided ALL kitties needed to be indoor only) and while Sil and Toby stopped the suckling behavior...Mister started up! However, he wanted to suckle fingers and as he grew, it became my thumb that he wanted.

He suckled my thumb all his eleven years. I learned to sleep with my hands covered or I'd wake to find him attached to my thumb. Usually, in the daytime he only wanted to suckle if company came over and he was nervous. It seemed to settle him and calm him down.

I would try to bottle feed kitten some KMR to give her the suckling reflex she feels she needs. However, I feel you have a 50/50 chance of her either growing out of this behavior or keeping it for life.

*I would also like to note that I bottle fed a fawn once, and while she sucked her bottle down quickly, after she finished, she would go over to hte Great Dane and suckle on his lips for about 10 minutes. I think the need to suckle is a very strong instinct for survival.
You should have seen the poor dog! He would see her coming and turn his head as far away from her as possible, but she'd just walk right over his legs to reach his lips. Then he'd stare at us as if to say: "WHY are you LETTING her do this to me?!"

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
....He suckled my thumb all his eleven years. I learned to sleep with my hands covered or I'd wake to find him attached to my thumb.
That makes a hilarious picture in mind.

Cats are full of surprises.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 04:20 AM

we adopted a tiny kitten from someone on Craigs List a few years back. She was a tiny ball of fuzz and was weened waaaay too early but we managed to spoon feed her with milk etc but she'd do the suckling on blankets too. We thought it was cute becuase its like a baby with a pacifier; its an obvious comfort for her so we didn't mind. Now that she's about 2 years old now, she apparently still does it when she goes with my daughter for bedtime. My daughter reports that the cat suckles the blanket as a nightly ritual and must kneed her paws on my daughters back as often times she'll wake up to the cat doing this. As long as my daughter doesn't mind we don't. She only does this in her room on her bed though.

If you don't mind the suckling on the blanket I wouldn't discourage it from doing it. Its obviously giving your cat some comfort.

I had a rescue kitten as a kid that would suckle your t-shirt and if you'd pick him up and put him on your shoulder, he'd suckle your earlobe if you'd let him. It was kinda funny!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I dont want to discourage her ..... and the soggy spot on my blanket is a minor detail

She is a such a sweet baby and has become a real mommy's girl

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 01:50 AM
Premier Cat

That's so sweet, Carol! But soon you'll have a thundering heard of kitties! just kidding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page