Cat Pees on New Chair - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Cat Pees on New Chair

Hi...my cat, Ashley, is 12 yrs old, and has always had perfect house and litter habits. We moved 2 months ago and she transitioned easily. A month ago, we bought furniture for our sunroom. She immediately seemed to like sitting on the back of the white leather chair and looking out the window, and that was fine with me. But, then I noticed that she was peeing on the cushion. She doesn't pee outside of her box anywhere else, so I guess she is marking this chair as hers??? She has never done anything like this before. I rarely see her on the chair. I have put foil on the cushion and that keeps her from peeing on it, but I don't think this is the greatest long term solution. Does anyone have any ideas? I appreciate any help!

Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 11:21 AM

Could be marking, could be showing stress of new things going on in her life, could be Urinary Tract Infection.
Could be she's decided shee wants another litter box. How many litter boxes do you have for her? I'd try getting her a 2nd one.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Typically when a cat who has always used the box starts peeing elsewhere, it more than likely will indicate a urinary tract infection or crystals. However, you have some outside stressors with the move and new furniture. I would still recommend a vet visit as the first step to determine if it's a medical issue. I suggest this because, if it is an infection, it's extremely uncomfortable for her and if left untreated while trying to address behavioral issues could become very serious.

If there are no medical issues, then I would try a different location for the litter box, maybe add a second box, try using Cat Attract litter (or they also make an additive that you can mix in your current litter). Also make sure you have cleaned the chair with an enzymatic cleaner to break down the urine. Otherwise she will consider it a good place to go since she's done it there before.

I will move this thread to Behavior for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Banned

I hate to tell you this, but satisfactorily getting urine out of leather, and at the same time leaving its appearance unaffected, is well nigh impossible. I suggest you contact a professional leather cleaner and see what they can do for you. It's important to get all the urine out, not just at the surface, but whatever has soaked in. Or else the cat will still smell it and that will trigger an "OK to go" signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page