Exercise!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Exercise!!

My older cat Neko (today's his birthday, he's three!) Does not play. He started to play with a wand toy but got scared of it and ran away. My parents and brothers keep telling me he is over weight, he eats the perfect amount so I guess he needs exercise. If he is fat it's not too fat, I'll put up pics tomorrow and let you decide. Anyway what sort of toys really get a cat moving? he is not very playful although he does fetch, is that good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Premier Cat

Happy Birthday, Neko!

Fetching play is a good start.
Laser pointers are fun for cats, but be very careful so you don't point the beam directly or reflect it into his eyes.
Also, catnip toys are good
If you don't mind me asking, what happened to make Neko scared of the wand toy?

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
I use a laser pointer to excersise all of my cats. They love it.
You could try a different type of wand toy. My cats eat wand toys so we had to stop with those

Anyways, Happy Birthday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Cat Addict

My kittys go CRAZY over Da Bird
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
If your cat is eating a normal amount, and is on canned food, it might be wise to speak to your vet about thyroid tests. I had a beautiful collie who gained weight on a cup of dog food a day. The vet did thyroid tests, and she was on medication the rest of her life. I would have had to restrict her to 1/2 cup a day just to keep her from gaining weight. Just a thought.

If she's on dry food, I would suggest canned food. Dr. Jean says, "Think Atkins."

The laser pointer should get Neko moving, and that will help too!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Banned

Going for walks on harness and leash?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Exercise!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Siameseifuplz~
My parents and brothers keep telling me he is over weight, he eats the perfect amount so I guess he needs exercise.
What kind of food is he eating (brand and is it wet or dry)? And what is the perfect amount? If it's based in what the manufacturer says on the bag/can you could very well be over feeding. I've seem some that recommend 2-3 times more than a cat really needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Laser pointers are fun for cats, but be very careful so you don't point the beam directly or reflect it into his eyes.
Also, catnip toys are good
If you don't mind me asking, what happened to make Neko scared of the wand toy?
I tried with a flashlight and he immediately figured out where the beam of light was coming from and stared right at it. He's smart, he has never chased other light beams (reflected off of stuff). Do you think he still might be interested in a laser? He likes cat nip but not in the crazy way most cats do, he kinda gets protective of it and sniffs it really hard then sits on it and glares around until it wears off, then gives it a good sniff again lol. When he plays with his "independent toys" (I don't manually make them move, he does) he really has no intentions of playing, he tries to eat them. He has some mice, which he tries to eat the tails off of. He ignores all the balls and does not like toys that make noise.

As far as why he's scared, I don't know. If he is laying down he will bat at it and try to grab it but if he is standing and it moves at or near him he will get big scared eyes and run away. He's never been hit with one or anything like that. I have a feather one, a one with a long plush rope and a one with many thin plush strings. He used to LOVE the one with the long plush rope, infact he used to love many toys, but as soon as we brought home another cat he changed. Now he will fetch, only when Willie is locked out of the room, and that is it. I tried playing with another toy when Willie was locked out but Willie was screaming on the other side of the door so Neko went over to smack at him under the door instead. When we got Willie he also stopped cuddling. If he does happen to be on my lap he will immediately get up and leave if Willie comes up. If he is fetching he will stop when Willie chases the toy. It's very saddening as Neko was a very affectionate, playful cat until we got Willie (affectionate with me, he does not like other people most of the time).

Neko did eat the wand toy with the long plush rope so they are kept in my drawer when we are not playing. I walked in while he was chewing it and he tried to walk away, then he gagged and I noticed it was down his throat. I gently pulled it out, thank God it was not too far down!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I am trying desperately to get this cat to eat wet food,he hates it, all of it (well the good stuff at least.) and I can't afford a solely wet diet (I am doing it for one meal every other day so 25% of his diet)I personally don't think he's fat or at least not very much. I mean he has what I call his "man flub" right in front of his back legs that hangs a bit but he's not really round at all. They keep comparing him to Willie. They are from the same parents (different litter though) but are from a bad BYB so you don't really know what to expect. Neko looks like a traditional Siamese and Willie looks like a modern with a less extreme head. So Neko is bigger, bigger boned and less sleek. Willie is thin and tall but not large, he's 8 pounds, Neko is 10 or 11 pounds (does not sound like much but it sure looks it). I'll need to get those pics up sometime tomorrow, or I'll try (School is keeping me busy).

He is eating 1/4 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup at night, same as Willie. It's felidae dry food. He gets half of a 5.5 oz. an every other day for dinner but will not eat it so he gets small amount of dry food (I feel bad for him since he's hungry but want him to give in and eat the wet).

I tired taking him for a walk on a harness, talk about a nightmare. I spent time getting him used to the harness and leash. Then out we went. Well something spooked him (no idea what) and he started to run. He got to the end of the leash and lept in the air flipping and turning and was starting to get out of the harness. I stepped forward to loosen the leash and give slack so he could not get out of the harness and my movement towards him freaked him out ten billion times more so he ran like the wind. I did not want him to get out so I stated to chase after him, still holding the leash. All the time I'm trying to calm him with his name and kind, calm words. Keep in mind this is happening fast. so about 10 running steps later he decides I am the enemy trying to kill him and he has no choice but to fight me off. He stops flips around, leaps in the air at my face. So I step back and throw up my arms. As soon as he saw me take that step and retreat he took the opportunity to bolt away, so his nails barely clipped my arms and hands(although they busted a blood vessel in my finger which bled like crazy, hurt like heck and made my finger so stiff it couldn't bend). So he started to run forward, saw the pile of wood against out deck and turned to run up those. So he went up those and tried to go through the bars of the deck but ran right into them. Then he worked through but I was still holding the leash on the other side of the bars. I did not want to let go since he would either run away or run to the door, notice it was closed THEN run away or hurt himself trying to get though. So he notices he is at the end of the leash (he is also between our gas grill and our house which is brick) and he begins thrashing and rolling around frantically smashing into the house and the grill until the racks fall on him and my mom heard them. SO then she runs out and I tell he to open the door and call the cat and just as she did that he worked out of the harness and ran inside.

I went inside to make sure he was OK (and would not attack Willie if he tried to sniff him) but he was fine and came right up to me for an ear and face rub.

So yeah, we can't do that with him. Willie loved being out on the leash but I was slightly paranoid after Neko's incident plus Willie kept trying to make a break for it and meowed CONSTANTLY to go out. My parents said he had to stop because his meowing was driving them nuts.

Oh, and about my last post, don't get me wrong, Neko loves Willie they sleep, play and groom with each other it just has affected Neko's personality towards people.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Premier Cat

All of what you describe could be related to Willie being the dominant cat in your house. Can you confine Willie in a separate room while you play with Neko in another closed room?

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page