Anxiety/Injury - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Anxiety/Injury

Good Morning

My daughter came home for her wedding and when she was in the airport with her cat she had problems with the cat getting through security. Something scared the cat and she gave my daughter a real time of it--daughter now has lovely scratches for her wedding.

When we got to our house we let the cat out of the carrier and she seemed to be OK. Not real wild but moving around with caution. A little later all of a sudden she yelped (she was on the floor) and hobbled away. Since then she has been very remote and walks fine but seems to hobble when she tries to run. She did jump up on an end table but does not seem to be eating or drinking much--except treats. She also has not used the litter box.

Does anyone have any insight. We were told to wait a day or so by a vet's assistant to see if the leg got better. She definately walks fine just when she tried to run she is a little lame but is a big better.

My biggest concern is that she is not eating much or drinking water or using the litter box.

Thanks--not the way to start one's wedding week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Premier Cat

I'd still give it time, as it sounds like a soft-tissue injury. If she doesn't improve, or you need reassurance, then take kitty to the vet.

As to the eating/drinking/litterbox issue, she has been uprooted and needs time to get accustomed to her new place. If she isn't eating or drinking, she isn't going to have much waste coming out... I'd place her in a small room with litterbox, food and water. Someplace quiet that does not get a lot of foot-traffic. Make sure she has a place to hide, under a bed or in a carrier and go sit in there with her several times a day to talk to her or pet her.
h

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Agree, the whole process of plane travel and new home is very stressful for a cat and is likely to make her stop eating and be unsociable for a while. Are there other pets in the house? That could be causing issues, as well as all the hubbub associated with the wedding.

Give her a quiet space of her own, with food, water and litter box nearby and hopefully she'll adjust in a couple days. If she has any special foods (cat or human) that she loves, you might want to tempt her with that.

I'm going to move this to Behavior for you...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page