We adopted new kitten's today! (yes, there is a question) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

We adopted new kitten's today! (yes, there is a question)

But before I get to the question I must say that we picked out two of the most adorable kittens in the world....They are 2 and 3 months old and were in the same cage at the animal shelter. Alex is the older kitten, she is very lovable. Tinsel is the younger kitten, but she keeps kissing at everyone (cats and people). She will let us pet her though. Of course our older cat (Shadow) was kissing at both of them when we first got them to the house. I'll have to post pictures soon, I should be able to get one of Alex easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 09:03 PM
Premier Cat

What's the question?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddFran
What's the question?
Is it normal for a new kitty to be hissing at everyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4today
Is it normal for a new kitty to be hissing at everyone?
Yes. Cats/kittens will hiss at anything new or unfamiliar that they are unsure of. Even older cats will hiss at younger kittens or any new cat. It is their way of saying "give me some room".

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Premier Cat

Yes, this can happen, as Heidi stated above. Less with kittens than with adult cats, unless the kitten hasn't had much socialization with people or other animals.

Sorry, I read your first post fast and you said "Kissing" instead of hissing, so I didn't know what you meant. I thought kitty was being cute and lovey.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddFran
Yes, this can happen, as Heidi stated above. Less with kittens than with adult cats, unless the kitten hasn't had much socialization with people or other animals.

Sorry, I read your first post fast and you said "Kissing" instead of hissing, so I didn't know what you meant. I thought kitty was being cute and lovey.
LOL That's funny cause I read the post afterwards and realized that I had said kissing instead of hissing! Anyways, the two month old kitty is the one that is hissing that I am worried about. She was born in the shelter so she should have lots of socialization.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

She's going through a major change in her short little life, hissing is quite normal. She's probably scared and putting on a good front. Google 'cat introduction' to get some ideas on how to minimize the stress for all of them. Separating them, mixing scents etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page