I bought a scratching post - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

I bought a scratching post

....now how do I get them to use it? Odd, I know, that I've had cats all my life and this is the first post I've bought. When Pookie was younger, we just gave her the whole couch and she eventually stopped scratching so much. In the last month though, the two together have made three holes in the carpet. Stress from the new dog maybe, I don't know. Anyway, I brought the post in last night and they sniffed it. Do I need to rub it in catnip or something? Because I'm a dork, I also scratched on it myself to show them what to do, but I got some blank stares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:55 AM

Re: I bought a scratching post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostine
Because I'm a dork, I also scratched on it myself to show them what to do, but I got some blank stares.
LOL! I did the same thing with a toy I got Kringle the other day and then I got the "Get out of the way stupid, I know how to use it" look.

Sorry I'm no help though. I bought him one of those groomer things you stick on the wall, and it said to brush him with it before putting it on the wall so they know what it's for. Not sure how you could apply that though.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 11:00 AM

catnip is usually a good idea. rub it together in your hands then rub your hands all over the post ....good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

It has to be the right weight and height and material. The first one I bought Cinderella was just a cartpet-covered free-standing post about maybe 2 feet high. She never touched it. I tried everything. Petco took it back, thank goodness. Then I got the cat tree/condo and she went nuts on the sisal rope. Also, just the Alpine cat scratcher on an incline thing(?) - all my kitties use those.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Premier Cat

I'm lucky that Arianwen isn't fussy about wanting to scratch on furniture. I bought her some of those cheap ($1.79) cardboard scratching pads with catnip already in, and she loves them. They're great, you just tear the front panel off the box along its perforations and set it on the floor.

In s minute she's saying "Oooh Daddy, a new play place. And 'nip, too "

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

The one I got has rope around it. I looked at the flat cardboard scratchers, but they were $9.99 where I was at. I may pick one of those up too if I see it cheaper, $1.79 sounds much more reasonable for cardboard.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 05:57 PM

Re: I bought a scratching post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostine
Because I'm a dork, I also scratched on it myself to show them what to do, but I got some blank stares.
Haha, I did the same thing with the cardboard flat scratching post I bought for the girls when we first got them. I tried everything: rubbing catnip on it - too bad, they don't care about catnip at all; scratching it with my nails to show them - got blank stares; tried rubbing their paws on it gently - got vehement dissaproval glares... they never, ever used it

Luckily they adore the sisal rope of their cat tree posts, and... our old crappy couch

Did anyone ever buy the posts you fix to the wall?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Cool Cat

I have one of those "iScratch" things with the interchangable cardboard, sisal, and carpet inserts attached to one wall. Misty and Stomy use it but seem to like the inclined cardboard pad better. I put a sisal insert in to replace the cardboard and they definitely don't use it as often anymore: apparently they're cardboard girls. I'll have to take the sisal back out one of these days.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Cat Addict

I just ordered a new cat tree with sisal rope (the old one is all carpet) and a new scratching post with sisal fabric. Anyone have any experience with this purported "perfect scratching post"? purrfect post

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Haha! That looks like the fabric my old couch was made of. They loved it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page