My very unhappy cat- need advice please - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

My very unhappy cat- need advice please

Long story short. Max died in December. I got Iggy in March to give Simba a buddy. Simba hates Iggy. It's been six months and Simba still growls and hisses and just doesn't like him around. Iggy is now one year- very sweet, oh so loving, let's my two year old carry him around. He's also very playful and very needy so thus wants the attention of Simba so badly he will not leave her alone. I hate seeing Simba so disgruntled and unhappy especially after losing her buddy Max in December. Should I try to find Iggy another loving home and let Simba be an only kitty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 02:53 AM

It's a tough call... I would give it more time - cats are creatures of habit, and Simba may not be over her companion's loss yet. Maybe try working with essences to see if it would help improve their relationship - you could look up if one of the Bach Flower Essences fit your needs, or try www.spiritessences.com - I think they have a formula for tense multicat households. You could also try a plug-in Feliway - it's a plug that diffuses imitation pheromones similar to the cats' natural pheromones, and helps soothe and calm them.

Would it be possible at all for you to set each cat's favorite bed and toys in different rooms? Having her personal space that the youngster will not so easily invade may help Simba feel more relaxed and comfortable. Of course treating her like the dominant kitty since she was there first is a must - pet her first, feed her first, and generally treat her like she's the boss. This should really help with any possible jealousy she might feel against the younger cat.

Finally, it seems that two cats with the same smell are more likely to get on well... maybe try putting one drop of vanilla on both of them, and see if their behavior changes?

Hope this helps - please keep us posted
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Banned

I agree, you should give it more time. It took Rocket nine months to mostly get over his old buddy Tommy and start palling around with Twinkie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 01:14 AM

Cats are finicky.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 10:53 AM

I got my cats a month apart as kittens. They are not related. When they were small, they would sleep together, now they hate each other. As long as they are about 3 ft away from each other they are fine. Other than that, the hissing starts. Good thing we have a big enough house and 10 acres for them to be more than 3 ft apart.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 04:05 AM
Cat

Aw poor Iggy! Wanting attention from Simba so bad and getting the smackdown. I feel so bad for him just picturing that.

Aside from that, wish I could tell you more but the only thing I can tell you is my own experience. When I was nineteen, I got two cats, Emanon (boy) and Miss Grace (girl). They were from the same litter and adored each other. Then I found Snow, another male hanging out at my apartment complex and took him in. At first they all seemed to tolerate each other then Miss Grace went into her first heat and out came the claws. Emanon and Snow saw each other as big time rivals. I ended up getting all of them fixed but the boys never got along after that. Several months of desperation later I went back to my vet and asked if there was something I could do to stop the fighting. He chuckled a bit once I described it all and then said basically that my cats didn't like each other, just like some people don't click, and there wasn't much I could do about it. He did suggest giving them each their own space however, as he thought some of it was due to the fact that my apartment was so crowded.
Eleven years later and Miss Grace, along with several other cats, has come and gone but Snow and Emanon still hate each other. They're too old to fight all the time but they avoid each other and will have a small smackdown over dinner and who eats first at least once a week. I generally have to feed them separately. They've learned to live with each other though and they allow each other their own space. In our new place, Emanon has the bedroom and Snow has staked out the sofa, so we're all content.
It's probably just going to take a long time. Simba may be hoping that the 'intruder' will eventually go away. It may take a lot longer for her to get used to the fact that the little one is home to stay. They'll either start getting along or find a way to live with each other regardless, most likely. Hope things work out for your stressed kitties soon-keep us updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss Grace, Normie and Cleo, you will never be forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page