Need Help with Dirty Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Need Help with Dirty Cat

Hey guys and gals.

Its been a while since I visited... but new job = no internet, plus we moved etc etc.

Anyways... ill get straight to my problem. As you may remember, I introduced Cleo, our new cat many months ago. At the old house, it wasn't noticed till we moved that there was a specific area in the spare bedroom that had been used for a "pee" spot for what looked like some time. We didnt know however if it was Cleo or our resident cat Tink.

In the new house however, we have been able to pinpoint it to Cleo... and she refuses to use the litter for pee. As soon as we moved she took up her old habit and used the spare room for both pee and poo. After a thorough cleaning we closed off all the bedroom. She then moved into the laundry room... which we now also have perm. closed.

Now she is using a corner in the basement livingroom (which is where we spend alot of our time).

We use 2 different litter boxs, 1 of which i placed in her pee corner in hopes she would start using it. She does poo in it from what we can tell however... she pee's on the rug all around it... refusing to use the litter box to pee in.

We though it might be because she was not fixed... (which we had done 1 month ago) but it still continues.

We thoroughly cleaned the corner again... with special pet cleaner that is suppose to remove the smell and put a pherimone in the area to discourage them using the area again... but she continues to pee there.

We are at our wits ends.... and the only possible solution I can see if I dont find a way to break her habit is to bring her to a local farm to be a barn kitty. I will not put her down... and I will not give her to anyone as I would not put another family through this.

Any ideas what I can do here. I think I have tried everything. There is no UTI as the most recent visit to the vet proved... we have tried disciplining... changing types of litter... restricting her access...

Im stumped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Jr. Cat

I don't know if this helps but people on this site have suggested a litter attractant that you can put in the litter box. Have you tried this? There are similar threads on this site about this problem that may be very helpful. Good luck!

"With their qualities of cleanliness, discretion, affection, patience, dignity, and courage, how many of us, I ask you, would be capable of becoming cats?" - Fernand Mery Her Majesty the Cat
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Some random thoughts...

It's possible she may not like the litter you've been using, maybe the scent or texture...have you tried changing it? Then again, she may not like litter at all. You could try an empty box, a box with newspaper or an old towel. Or even puppy training pads. Is she declawed? They often develop litter box issues because it hurts their paws to walk on it. Maybe she doesn't like the box itself...is it covered? Some cats are not comfortable not being able to see all around when going.

Do you have more than one box? She may not want to pee and poop in the same box. Or your other cat might be preventing her from using the box. If you decide to make any of these changes, do them one at a time.

If none of the above applies, I would recommend confining her to a small room, preferably a bathroom with no rugs in the floor. Put her litterbox, food, water and toys in there and be prepared that she may be in there for a week or two.

Recommend Cat Attract litter (or they sell an additive that you can out in your regular litter). Scatter toys around so she has very little space that isn't occupied.

The theory here is that cats typically won't pee where they have to live. If she starts using the box, praise her effusively, give her treats. But you need to ensure the behavior is ingrained so you'll want to leave her in there for a week or so after she is using the box consistently.

Oh...and make sure you clean all of the old pee spots with an enzymatic cleaner to break down the pee and completely remove the scent, otherwise she'll think it's an OK place to go. Get a black light and mark all the spot with a coin and clean them all at the same time. Make sure to really soak the areas with the cleaner, it must soak down as deep as the pee did. Just spraying the surface won't do it.

Good luck....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:15 AM

Not a permanent solution, but after cleaning all the area's that she is peeing in, try tacking down some tinfoil (do not smooth it out... leave it rumbled) ... cat's hate walking on tinfoil.. this may deter her enough to go back to using the litter box. Just an idea... best of luck and keep us updated.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Premier Cat

Clean & soak tons of cleaner on those stain spots. Use different types of boxes & clean & change out your litter & put in Cat Attract & plug in Feliway in those areas you don't want your cat to soil. Then lock your cat in a small tiled space like bathroom or laundry room & don't let her out until she uses the box consistently.

If you let your cat out while she's still using the outside areas & you just lock her up when you catch her that doesn't really teach her not to do it there because eventually you will open up the doors again. I had to lock up my cats when one of them was pooping in the dining room for 2 weeks straight & did the steps above & helped to stop the outside accidents. *Knock On Wood*. Good luck
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Well... good news. I found out the problem.

After going through 4 different types of cat litter... putting out 4 different litter boxs... using about 5 different types of "cat detourant" sprays for the areas she was peeing in... and basically watching her like a hawk for about 3 weeks... you will never guess what it was.

She is an OVERYLY CLEAN kitty! Kinda funny considering my title for this thread LOL.

Apparently she requires the litter to be completely spotless of poop and pee if she is going to use it. I used to clean my litters once every 5 days. Now... I have to do it daily otherwise she won't use them.

How did I stumble on this you may ask. It was 8am and I had fallen asleep on the couch. I woke up to her quietly scratching at the litter. I sat up and watch her. She kept sniffing the litter... scratch scratch... sniff the litter... scratch scratch... etc etc. This went on for a few minutes... then I saw her squat a few inchs from the litter... about to start peeing. I jump up and stopped her and right away scooped the litter. Then went to the other litter (which is in another room... it was part of my attempts to get to use at least one litter) and started cleaning that one. By the time I came back to the first one... ta da! Pee in it. I scooped it right away... and went to put the bag of dropping in the litter basket and ta da! She had pooped in the other one I had just cleaned!

I clean the litters twice a day now... once in the morning before I go to work... and once when I get home from work. Been 2 weeks now and not 1 accident outside the litter.

So to all you "outside the litter" pee'ers.... this may be one of the solution to the pee problems out there. My guess is... from what I have read here... there could be numerous reasons a cat pees outside the litter... and its a simple task of sifting through the hundreds of possible reasons and finding the right one LOL.

GL to all you still having problems... all I can suggest is keep searching... the trigger is there somewhere.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats for figuring it out, but I wouldn't say she's an overly clean kitty, I'd say she's pretty normal. If you weren't scooping the box for 5 days, I can understand why she wouldn't go in it. Daily scooping is the norm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

I scoop mine 3 times a day, when I get up, when I get home, and before I go to bed. And if there's something smelly in between, out it comes right away. Probably more so the kitties don't walk (or play) in it, but this was my routine before the kitties, too.

Too much?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

I guess I was just used to my older cat. She didn't mind it being cleaned until the 4th or 5th day. And we had used the silicon crystals with her... and the odor was non existent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page