Help me help my Abys. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Help me help my Abys.

Greetings to Everyone,
I have actually just joined your forum and I have to say that I love how wonder you all are to each other in answering questions and providing help/information, thank you for that.

So now to the point, I have 2 Abyssinian cats (sisters) they are 5 1/2 years old now and I love them dearly. The are strictly indoor cats and have always been.
I am having a few problems with them right now and I want to help them so that they can go back to being happy cats. When I 1st got them they were best friends and did everything together, and about 2 years later Anukis had become very aggressive to her sister Amenti. It happens about 90% of the time when an outside cat come around the house and Anukis sees it. She becomes very aggressive, fluffs up and then goes and attacks her sister. I don't know how to handle this situation and now they cannot even pass each other without hissing or trying to attack one another.

I do have some other questions, but I want to take it one problem at a time and not change too much. I have ready the sticky about cleaning the house for pee, and I think I will start there b4 presenting my situation.

Thank you all for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome! What you are seeing is what is known as redirected aggression. Your cat sees the other cat outside and what's to chase it out of her territory. Since she can't get to it, she is taking out her frustration on her sister.

Do a search on this forum for 'redirected aggression' and you'll find some info, also Google it.

The only way to fix this is to eliminate the cat from coming on your property. If you know the owner, I would start there. If you think it's a stray, then trap it and bring it to a shelter/rescue. I had this problem with my neighbor's cat, my cats actually got into a fight and both of them ended up with abscesses (and a $500 vet bill) and I had to speak to them twice before they finally kept the cat in.

Once you eliminate the source of the problem you will need to work on a re-introduction process for your kitties.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Premier Cat

Dooodlebug has great advice!
Feliway is a synthetic scent that calms cats. Can you get Feliway products where you live, Leslie? If you can't, chamomile scented candles have a calming affect on the kitties, too.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Cat Addict

Hi and welcome! Looking forward to seeing the beauty's! Paws crossed this isn't an everyday occurrence.

I am having the same issue now and then. I am trying to be more attentive to the issue as it happens, then I try to distract them. My males pick on my females. A recent escape caused a real issue. I separated them then and put a dab of vanilla on their neck (so they would all smell the same) waited until dinner time before let them all be together. That works (in the moment) but it would be nice to do something to make it not happen at all. I will try the diffuser again. But with Linx I can not use much scent in the air.
As far as it starting with redirected aggression because of the neighbor cats, I bought some sprinkle stuff to put around the house to see if it will do what it claims. The neighbors could care less about the kittys, so they will not keep them inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page