The indoor hunter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

The indoor hunter

do you guys let your cat kill and eat bugs in the house? For the most part I let them eat ants and flys, I stopped them from killing a cricket though because I like crickets. Last night there was a GIANT moth in our house and I didn't think it would be safe for them to eat it, not to mention the crunching sounds involved would not be pleasant. Unfortunately by the time I caught the poor thing he had already been held in Willie's mouth and pinned to the ground on various occasions by both cats so he had a rip in his wing and could not fly but I put him outside anyway. I actually feel bad for the moth in this respect.

Anyway this is more about the cat end of it, is it safe for cats to catch, kill and eat bugs? Are there any that are not safe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Banned

Outside cats do this all the time. There could be some parasites transmitted by insects, but I don't remember which. But it's such a small risk it's not something I spend time worrying about. I let my cats eat any bugs they can catch.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Premier Cat

Molly Brown can catch a fly out of the air.

I must confess that I will go out and catch moths for the kitties. I stand outside the back door with the light on trying to catch a moth (arms flying, me jumping up and down to reach them as they come close to the light). When I get one I come in the door and yell "Moth, Moth" as I run through the house to the bathroom. Simba, Gracie and Molly Brown will meet me in there and chase the moth around. Simba won't eat it, but Gracie and Molly will.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Oh my Leazie...I'm cracking up picturing that!

Yup, my cats eat anything they catch...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Tom Cat

Rarely do I have to worry about that. Cooper just doesn't care about anything getting in the house. He'll just sit there and look at it for a minute and then go off to rest. And then there's Chloe. Dear, sweet Chloe. She's very fascinated by insects. She WANTS to hunt them down. But my sweet little girl is just the most rediculous hunter I've ever seen. The bug will fly and she'll sit there looking all over the place frantically and she can never keep track of it. She's just not good at hunting. I have no idea how she survived a year and a half out on her own.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Premier Cat

When I see a bug in the house, I holler: "Kitty candy!" and they all come running to see where I am pointing. It is a race against each other to see who can catch/eat it before the others.
Bugs don't last long in my house.

The only bug I've tried to prevent them catching is the few times a wasp has found its' way indoors. I smack those with the fly-swatter until they fall apart. Then I smack it again for good measure before I pick up the pieces with a paper towel and wrap/wet/toss in the trash.
(a wet paper towel eases my mind about keeping dead bugs confined)

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
When I see a bug in the house, I holler: "Kitty candy!" and they all come running to see where I am pointing. It is a race against each other to see who can catch/eat it before the others.
Bugs don't last long in my house.
Same here! I call "Meeeeeeeeeeew! Buuuuuuuug!" and everyone comes running with wide greedy eyes, and the hunt is on.
Mew will usually chomp them after a few seconds, Isis will let them last longer (and sometimes loses them, argh), and the babies do their best... the other night Wicket was parading in the kitchen with a 1,5 inch-long cockroach in his mouth!! DH saved me from having a heart attack by confiscating the monster before Wicket could lose him.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 09:37 PM

I will have to remember the BBBUUUUGGGG call. I yell BIRDIES when there are birds at the feeder outside the window and they both come running.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 12:52 AM
Tom Cat

It's prime cricket hunting season right now. The 2 kittens gather by the front door looking for their next victim in the evenings. I find their legless carcasses in the morning. We have a huge lizard population and we usually get a few in the house every summer. Hunter has already caught and tortured one. Kaley found a bark scorpion in the window sill last week. Luckily I spotted her with it before she got stung. I immediately started wearing slippers again when walking around the house in the dark.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 07:00 AM

Oh yeah... no bug stands a chance in this house of 5 evil hunters!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page