How to stop carpet being destroyed? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Cat

How to stop carpet being destroyed?

Gracie has access to everywhere in the house apart from the office because the gerbil and hamster live in the office. We did try to prove to Gracie that there is no point her getting excited over the rodents as there is no way she can get in the cages but it is no good. she nearly smashed my monitor in her last effort to get at the gerbil. So that room is forbidden and the door always closed.
However we are now rapidly loosing the carpet in the hall at the locked door. She has pulled the carpet off it's grippers and it is starting to get thread bare. It is just in the area where the door opens. She knows she is doing wrong because when we come running at the sound of the scratching she will run away. We have tried to lay a rug over the area of carpet but then the door will not close! Also the door is directly opposite the stair case and I am well known for tripping over rugs!
So any ideas how we deal with this problem? The rodents are both well into their senior years and only have a couple of months left so she will be able to use the room when they have passed on but until then I cannot afford to recarpet the stairs and landing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 07:47 AM

We have the same problem with "Digger"... if any of the doors are closed, or I need to lock them in one of the carpetted rooms for whatever reason, Digger start ripping the carpetting at the corner of the door, and has made a hold in it. Soooooo... I've resorted to buying a huge role of that grey "duct tape". It does no harm to the fibres of your carpetting, but if you layer the tape, it is very hard for the cats to break through it with their nails. Another trick is to seal the area with the duct tape, then apply a two-way sticky tape on top of the duct tape... cats usually hate two-way tape as it has a really sticky feel to it... hope these help!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Can you relocate the rodents somewhere that the cat can't get at? Like a shelf on the wall that doesn't have any furniture next to it and isn't big enough for the cat to jump up on (or too high up).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page