getting out of puberty??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

getting out of puberty???

Weird question, I know. Kir is 1.5 y-o kitty. He's been acting somewhat "strange" over the last month. I mean, he's fine phisically (I've taken him to the vet and he just looked at me like I'm this crazy cat lady that brings her spoiled cat everytime it looks tired) and nothing has changed in our environment. He's always been a hyperactive kitty, jumping around all the time, playing whenever/wherever and generally behaving like a kitten.

But now, I think he's become lazier, slower, he sleeps more (even at night! He never ever slept all night before but now he does that frequently and it's freaking me out. It's nice to get some sleep tho )... He still plays with me if I try hard enough, but he seems content just lying on the balcony and watching birdies. He's also a lot more cuddly. He's always been very cuddly, but now he purrs really loud everytime I stroke him, he's always jumping on my lap when I'm sitting... I like it, don't get me wrong , it's just that he's different . He's eating, his poops look ok. He's neutered, if that has anything to do with it? And he's mostly an indoor cat, he only gets out when he's supervised.

Is he over with his "puberty" and becoming an "adult"? Does cats' attitude changes a lot when they grow up? Cause I got a high-voltage kitty and end up with mr. lazybones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 07:50 AM

Yes, he may be going into a different phase of his life. I noticed my Digger (who is 2) change around 1.5 yrs old too... he slowed down a little and became more cuddly. It's also possible that your kitty get's a little bored.... and may want a buddy?????
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I thought about a buddy-shortage too, but me and my BF can't afford another animal companion right now We're both still studying and saving for our own place, but in a year or so we'll be getting our own appartment and then it'll be time for another furrball , well, maybe two. Or three. Depends on how big the place will be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Banned

Your cat still has another year or two to go until he's a completely matured adult. Maybe he's just turning into a sedentary cat.

But you know, you need to trust your intuition. If you think there's something wrong with him, don't let the vet give you the brush-off. Just keep a close eye and see if you can identify what's bothering you. Maybe it's a change due to some illness. But it's a waste of time going to the vet until the symptoms are more definite. I think cat owners, by spending time with their cats, know what's normal and what's not normal. If there's something about his behavior that's bothering you, there may be a good reason for it. But without being able to put a finger on it, a vet wouldn't know what to look for.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll be extra vigilant
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

...he has been very lethargic the last couple of days. So we went to the vet yesterday and found out he has a fever - 40.2°C (I believe that's 104°F?). He was given some antibiotics - Synulox, one pill in the morning and one in the evening. The vet said that he could have a cold or maybe he was stressed (altho I have no idea what could've stressed him, but then again, I'm no cat=)) We're going back on monday for blood testing, they're gonna test for felv/fiv because the vet has no clue what else could've been. He's been tested when he was a kitten, but she said it's not reliable and they should test for it again. Could it be possible he has felv or fiv??

He has perked up a little bit today after the shot and the medications (a really tiny bit), but maybe it's just my imagination
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Oh, I guess this should be moved under Health & nutrition now
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Banned

Did your vet take two temp readings? Often stress will elevate a cat's temp and if you take it right away at the beginning of the visit, you'll get a false high reading.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, she did, and surprisingly he was really calm when she did the hiney invasion , both of the times. A different story when he saw The Needle tho (guess he gets that from his mom ). The temperature was almost the same, first 40°C and then 40.2°C. Unfortunately I won't know if it dropped until monday

Other than that he has a healthy appetite - I think he even gained weight cause he's eating the same and just sleeping 23h/day. The vet told me that was encouraging.

In a way I was a bit relieved when she told me he had a fever - now I know why he's behaving like he does. I just hope it's a cold and nothing else
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Soooo.... I've got some bad news. He's positive for FeLV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page