Is your cat really responding to their name? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Is your cat really responding to their name?

or are they responding because they heard you?

Respond as in like they turn their heads toward you, they come running to you, or in any way that's considered responding.

Also, what if you decided to change your cat's name, and if they were responding to the previous name, would they respond to their new name?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Banned

My cats know their names. I have three cats, and if I say the name of one of the cats, that's the cat that responds. If you change a cat's name, they get used to it and recognize their new name eventually. I'm sure if you went somewhere and all the people started calling you by a different name eventually you'd respond to your new name, too.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Premier Cat

My kitties respond to their own names. Currently have ten. Have lost nine others in the past 15 years who also knew their own name and responded.

I would call a specific name, perhaps several of the cats would turn to look at me, but usually only the kitty whose name I called would come to me or respond with a querying meow. If I call 'here babies' or 'here kiitties' they all come. Squirrely-Jo is an attention hog and will come no matter whose name I call... She will respond to 'No, I didn't call YOU S-Jo' and stop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:20 PM
Cool Cat

Zoey recognizes her name and responds with a meow when I call her name.
She also comes to me most of the time.

She also knows "wait," the names of my three dogs and my son's dog, "closet" (she likes to hide in it while I put away my clothes, "crate" for closing up the dogs in their room (but she is the first one in) and "outside" which means the dogs go out and she might find a bug coming in.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Cool Cat

No doubt in my mind that all my cats know their names. I can be in one room, with cats in all the other rooms; if I say, "Where's Robbie?" (or anyone else), only that cat will come to me. If I'm in the same room, the cat whose name I say will look at me or say something, while the others ignore me.

When KatieKat first arrived as a pregnant feral, as soon as she had her kittens in the barn I brought the whole family up to the basement of my house. I had eight other cats at the time, so when Kate and the boys decided to move upstairs with everyone else, feeding time became complicated. I had already started calling the young ones "The Kit-Tens" early on. At feeding time, I would say, "Where's the little Kit-Tens?" and Kate and her sons would come running, following me into the bedroom to eat. Not a single one of the other cats would follow, and I fed them in another room. To this day, The Kit-Tens (Phmokey, Rebel Buster, and Brrrruce, who are now 14 years old......I've since lost Kate......) and only those three will come when I say, "Where's the little Kit-Tens?"

Another word that my cats know very well is "No" (the most important word one can teach any animal, IMO). "No", to be the most effective, must be used when the animal is thinking about doing something. I can have three or four cats following me in the house and say, "No, Rebel," and only Rebel will stop. Phmokey, Rebel, and Brrrruce are allowed outside after dark (until bedtime), because they don't go any farther than the porch. Chica, Chip, and Robbie are not allowed out after dark, because they will roam and not want to come back in. After dinner, everyone will want back out, and the whole herd crowds around the door. I'll let the kit-Tens out and say, "No, Robbie (or Chip or Chica)". As badly as they want out, they will stop in their tracks while the others go out the door.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CataholicsAnonymous
No doubt in my mind that all my cats know their names. I can be in one room, with cats in all the other rooms; if I say, "Where's Robbie?" (or anyone else), only that cat will come to me. If I'm in the same room, the cat whose name I say will look at me or say something, while the others ignore me.

When KatieKat first arrived as a pregnant feral, as soon as she had her kittens in the barn I brought the whole family up to the basement of my house. I had eight other cats at the time, so when Kate and the boys decided to move upstairs with everyone else, feeding time became complicated. I had already started calling the young ones "The Kit-Tens" early on. At feeding time, I would say, "Where's the little Kit-Tens?" and Kate and her sons would come running, following me into the bedroom to eat. Not a single one of the other cats would follow, and I fed them in another room. To this day, The Kit-Tens (Phmokey, Rebel Buster, and Brrrruce, who are now 14 years old......I've since lost Kate......) and only those three will come when I say, "Where's the little Kit-Tens?"

Another word that my cats know very well is "No" (the most important word one can teach any animal, IMO). "No", to be the most effective, must be used when the animal is thinking about doing something. I can have three or four cats following me in the house and say, "No, Rebel," and only Rebel will stop. Phmokey, Rebel, and Brrrruce are allowed outside after dark (until bedtime), because they don't go any farther than the porch. Chica, Chip, and Robbie are not allowed out after dark, because they will roam and not want to come back in. After dinner, everyone will want back out, and the whole herd crowds around the door. I'll let the kit-Tens out and say, "No, Robbie (or Chip or Chica)". As badly as they want out, they will stop in their tracks while the others go out the door.

Your cats are very obedient. Thanks everyone for your answer.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 07:07 AM

Yep... mine all know their names, and their "nick names" too !!!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Banned

Somewhere there's a nicknames thread.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Premier Cat

All mine know their names. It's always neat to call a name, and have a response (several of them will call back).

Molly Brown, the 9 month old, knows her name, but will only respond when she wants to. Darned teenagers .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Tom Cat

I went to Animal Control yesterday to see the kitties. My daughter and I were talking about all the cats and she was asking me what their names were. There was one that was owner surrendered and her name was Precious. She was just resting the whole time we were there. Didn't even look up. Then my daughter asked what her name was. As soon as I said "Her name is Precious" the cat meowed, got up, and came to the cage door for attention. She definitely knew her name!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page