A way to keep my cat from scratching my leather chair? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

A way to keep my cat from scratching my leather chair?

I am just about at the end of my rope with this cat. My female cat has and uses her scratching post. But, when she gets excited, she also jumps and clings to my $1200 leather chair. She has done this twice now. The first time I hid the chair in a room for 3 years and never used it. Now, we moved and it is out in the open so we can use it. And, she just attacked it last night again.

Is there something I can put on it?

Or can I get her front paws declawed? I am not sure about this option as she is an indoor/outdoor cat...indoor mostly.

They are locked in their room at night and out in the day. I am going to lock them outside during the day and while we are not home until I can figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Banned

Re: A way to keep my cat from scratching my leather chair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofi
Or can I get her front paws declawed? I am not sure about this option as she is an indoor/outdoor cat...indoor mostly.
Hmmm. I want you to think for a moment how you might feel if someone chopped off the first digit of each of your toes forcing you to walk unbalanced and probably in some pain for the rest of your life. Thats what declawing is to a cat. In my country its illegal and with good reason. Its vile.

Happily there are alternatives. There is a product called 'soft paws' that you put on the cats claws to protect the furniture. There are also 'adversion' techniques - like squirting water on her everytime your cat scratches your sofa. My cat didnt know what a scratching post was when I first adopted him and I was warned that he had literally destroyed a sofa by scratching it. I got said scratching post and sprayed it with catnip. I also got some 'pet adversion' spray for my furniture. It worked a treat - so that might help too.

Good luck! Keep as posted
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will try the Pet Adversion spray first. She knows exactly what the scratching post is....But, we she gets excited and rips around every morning (when I am still sleeping, and hubby has gone to work) She clings to this chair on her way by, then runs away again.

The declawing is a last resort, it is either that, or, there is a lady that lives in the area that has MS, that may be looking for a companion. And this cat loves to just sit there all day and be pet. That is an open option as well, but when I adopt an animal...it is here for life... but this cat has put me through the ringer and I am on my last straw with it. I am being honest here.

There is no way in heck she will wear booties!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Ok, been reading up on declawing...it is very quickly becoming a non-option... I had no idea!

Can you get those wax tips done on them?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Banned

Have a look see at this.

http://www.softpaws.com/
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I am ordering these right now!! She doesnt go outside when it cools down very much, so it should be ok...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Premier Cat

I'm glad you're deciding not to declaw. It's a horrible thing to do to a cat.
Just wanted to add that I have two leather chairs and the cats haven't damaged them at all. The trick for me is to keep their nails clipped at all times. I need to trim them about every 10 days - 2 weeks.
I know several people who use and love soft paws but make sure you don't leave them on too long and remember to keep the nails trimmed underneath them. If you don't your kitty can end up with a nasty ingrown nail and infection.

Victoria
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

good thing you told me that! I was going to clip the nails before I put them on, but had no idea I had to take them off??? Duh... So, how do you take them off? Or how do you deal with that?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 05:59 PM

Another idea... tin foil. Cat's hate it... hate the feel of it. Also, two-way tape... they hate that as well. I've had great success with both... Good luck!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

There is no way I am sticking tape to my chair!!

My cats love to play with tin foil!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page