A very gross story, dont read if you have a queasy stomach - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

A very gross story, dont read if you have a queasy stomach

Ok you've been warned. In my younger years, I did not spay my cat. I did not really understand all these things. I loved her but being a kid and nobody ever telling me otherwise, I didn't know anything.

She had three litters in her lifetime. She's always been a very petite cat. We kept some, gave away others.

Here's the thing. She ate one of her stillborns in her first and third litter. I'm wondering why she did this. She is spayed and much better taken care of now, and is 15 years old. I've had her since she was 3 months old. Her last litter was about 8 years ago.

She's the sweetest cat so I hope you guys don't think she's a bad cat or something. She raised the rest of her litter wonderfully and attending to their every need.

Thank you. I'm just asking because every once in a while I wonder about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Cool Cat

Sometimes mother cats just do that. Only they know the reason. I would guess it's an instinct that developed in the species, to 1) keep the nesting area clean, 2) keep away scents that would attract predators, and 3) build back protein that she's lost though nursing. It doesn't mean she's a bad kitty -- she's just doing what nature tells her to do.

Plus, some mother cats will actually kill their kittens, then eat them. I don't know why that happens, and I don't know if anyone else does. So it could have been worse.

I'm glad that you still loved your kitty through it all, and still do, and that she's enjoying a well-earned retirement from motherhood.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Banned

We need to be reminded sometimes that cats have chosen to be around humans for only 5000 years or so, whereas dogs have (I think) been around 20,000 years or more. And it's really only in the last few hundred years that cats have become household pets. So cats really are not quite completely domesticated and sometime will naturally do things we don't think household pets should do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page