I upset my girls - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

I upset my girls

Now I have joined the ranks of those whose cats potty outside the litter box. Actually I think it's only Pookie, she's always been sensitive to change, but anyway, here's what I think I did: I went out of town for nine days and had my next door neighbor look after the girls. She came every day, fed tham, gave them attention and kept the boxes clean, but she has still rebelled. It may also have to do with the nice wicker litter box cover I just spent a fortune on, or the new track mat...it may not be to her liking. Anywho, I found pee in two corners and on the rug in the kitchen, and she's pooping in my sons room. I hope she will stop now that I am back. I really don't want to have to get rid of my new cover.

This is the cover I got, (didn't pay that much though): http://www.allpetfurniture.com/Mr%2E-He ... H1005.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Cool Cat

My Rotten has refused to use her litter box for over two months now, since we made a trip and she took a spill in it, then got attacked in it. It's been rough...but now it's getting cold and she won't go outside anymore, and I took the top off of her litter box and stuck in an obvious place, so she's using it again. Try uncovering it back in a normal atmosphere again. And maybe...I don't know if yours is a beastie who loves to play in their litter box...but make yours jealosu of it! Scratch in it! Fill it so temptingly (you know they can't resist a fresh pour of litter).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 06:23 AM

Some cats don't like covers on the litterboxes. Have you always had a cover on and just replaced it with a new one??? I have two huge litter boxes...one is a xtra-large "under the bed" tray/container and my other is a very large hooded litterbox. Some love the "open" concept, and some love the privacy of the hooded box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Haha. So true about how they can't resist fresh litter....

I've always had a cover on it, for years and years, but before it was a plastic cover - actually I still have the old box out too, but in a new location (bathroom), I just got another, large box with the wicker thing over it for the location that is easily visible.

I took away the track mat yesterday. I am trying to hold out on the box, but if it continues, my next step will be putting everything back like it was.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Cat Addict

Re: I upset my girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostine
This is the cover I got, (didn't pay that much though): http://www.allpetfurniture.com/Mr%2E-He ... H1005.html
Cute! Hopefully, that's not the problem.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Just an update on this, both are now using the old box in the bathroom. The new one with the cover has been untouched by either for two days. I guess it'll join the cat bed and window seat in the pile-o-stuff that I spent a fortune on and was never used. Lol....sort of.....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

When I bought my new mats a couple weeks ago, Cleo refused to walk on them. But they're HUGE, so she finally had to figure a way to get inside the box without touching the mats. She tried and tried (it was quite funny to watch) and finally leapt into the box only having to take one little step halfway on the mat. Now she has no problem with it.

Wicker has quite a strong scent to me, so maybe that's what it is with your cats. I really like it, though - too bad they don't. (Glad you didn't pay the full price, too.)

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Cat Addict

Does the cover open up? The lid part. Could you open it and leave it that way and see if they use it? If they do, I'd leave it that way for a long time and then eventually try closing it again.

Just a suggestion...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

The door part pulls down and the box slides out. I think that is part of the problem. The door thingy fell down while one of them was in there, and someone ran out, but I'm not sure which one. I left it down, but they won't step over it to go in the box. I found more poop in my sons room today too. I think I'm just going to put everything back to normal tomorrow. I might sell all the stuff I bought for my picky girl on ebay or something, lol.

Marie, I think I have the same mat as you. The one that comes in only crazy colors? When I picked it up to put it away, Pookie literally ran from it. My other thought is to put the old box back like it was, and then set up the new one in the bathroom just in case they ever decided to use it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostine
Marie, I think I have the same mat as you. The one that comes in only crazy colors?
Yup, that's the one.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page