Peeing Problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Peeing Problem

Hello everyone...

I have a cat, she's about 7 years old....

Lately, (2 times) she's peed on the carpet about 15 feet away from her box in front of some of my wife's teaching supplies...

She's done it 2 days in a row in basically the same place.....

Neither one of us has any idea as to what we should do.
She's eating and drinking fine..... No apparent health issues although we know that if it continues we may be making a trip to the vet but all of those possibilities aside, what might we be considering here?

Why in the world, out of nowhere, would our cat start peeing on the carpet away from her box?

We just have no idea how to persue this so I found this site and I'm posting for some help and/or advice......

Any would be appreciated....

Thanks

Peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Banned

A few questions.

Has anything in the home environment changed? New decor, furniture, people moving in or out? That sort of thing.

Have you changed the litter tray or are you using a new brand of litter?

Is she having trouble when she does pee or does she seem to be in any discomfort when she goes?

Initially, a vet visit is a very good idea - they will check for a Urinary Tract infection. If that comes up negative there are a number of good people here that can give you better advice than I and there is a 'sticky' here (https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11535) which should help.

Good luck. Keep us posted!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

When a cat suddenly starts to pee outside their box, the most likely culprit are urinary tract issues (infection or crystals). So your first step would be a vet visit because it's painful and has the potential to become serious if untreated. If that is ruled out then there are a variety of things that can be done to address a behavioral issue.

Make sure to clean the areas she's peed on with an enzymatic cleaner. It breaks down the urine and removes the smell, regular carpet cleaners won't do that. And you need to really soak the area, not just spray the surface, it has to sink in as deep as the urine did. You need to do this because if the area still smells like pee, she will view it as a good spot to go in the future.

Please keep us posted. Welcome to the forum, hope you'll stick around. And we'd love to see some pictures!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Wow!

Thank you so much for the quick responses... Please, anything else you might think of keep it coming..

I appreciate your insights and suggestions.. We will definiely follow up on the things mentioned here..

We actually thought that a Vet visit probably wasn't the first thing we should do but it really looks like that SHOULD be the first thing we should do so I'll get that set up so we can see what might be going on..

As far as environment changes there has been nothing NEW.... Any changes that we've had (which was a puppy) was about 5 months ago... I know cats and dogs go together like oil and water but I really feel like we've gotten through the adjustment phase.. Funny enough its the cat the instigates anything with the puppy... The pup isn't a little guy though.. He's a boxer mix, probably lab or something so he's a good sized dog... They interact with one another and sometimes its like brother/sister bickering stuff..... I know that could be an ingredient but they've been together for a good while now and the peeing stuff didn't happen at all when the pup was initially introduced into the home...

Our house is on the market and we had an open house Sunday afternoon but Tuesday was the first pee day. And then of course this morning (Wednesday).

She's always been the tempermental cat type.. Peeing in front of the box on occassion as if to say "Hey! Clean my darn box!!!!" It's so funny how they cop these attitudes sometimes..

I don't know if we've changed litter brands and I don't know if she's had any discomfort while going to the litter box.. I haven't observed her in that act.... She still lays around the house in every room as if she owns the place so it's not like her habits have obviously changed..

What "enzymatic cleaner" would you suggest.....?

Thanks for the info... Please keep it coming.. I'll check the thread that was posted for additional information and I will keep you all updated as well... I'll certainly get some pictures this way too...

Thanks.

I'll check back in a bit.

See ya..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Cat Addict

Nature's Miracle is a good enzyme cleaner.

Natures Miracle[/url]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Well, it does sound like there's a bit of turmoil in the house that could be causing a behavioral issue...are you starting to clean lots of stuff out and pack? That could do it as well.

But the vet visit is still the first thing to do, then at least you know what you're dealing with one way or the other.

There are many enzymatic cleaners out there. I've had good luck with Nature's Miracle and Simple Solution in the past. I've heard there are some new ones that are better, fortunately I haven't had to deal with this is quite some time so I haven't tried any new ones. I think Tim (Coaster) was trying out some different ones, maybe he'll have some suggestions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Banned

Urine-Off was the only one of the three others I've mentioned here that I've actually tried, Lisa. It is a very good product, superior to Nature's Miracle IMO, but also more expensive. A local vet priced a 17 oz. bottle at $20. I got it online for about $15, including shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page