Pee outside littebox-- UGH
I use cloth diapers for my infant and toddler. I had a pile of clean diapers on the floor to be put away. Suddenly, I noticed two of our cats pawing at the pile, as though they were trying to cover their waste.
There was cat pee on the diapers. I was shocked. Our older cat (he was watching the other two paw at the diapers) and the one who passed away in Feb. NEVER did this-- I have left piles of unfolded diapers around before. I was always a little worried it would happen with our new cats (one has been here 7 months, the other 5 months) but this is the 1st time. We have never, ever had anyone pee outside the box in our 10 yrs living with cats.
Questions . . .
(1) Will a cat cover up pee ONLY if he/she has been the one to pee, generally speaking? I am trying to figure out which cat peed.
(2) We changed litter recently. Could this be a result of that, or is it just that the (human) pee smell attracted the cat and confused him/her
(3) I won't be leaving the diapers around anymore, but will using bleach on them get the cat pee smell out?
(4) My toddler is in the process of potty learning. I KNOW she's going to have accidents. Does this mean I need to clean all of her accidents with a good neutralizer (vs. just a regular carpet cleaner), or do you think it was the pile of diapers that was confusing to the cats?
(5) DH said maybe the cat that peed was upset about something. Could that have brought this on? (We have had no changes that I am aware of.)
(6) If they mark their territory, do they still try to cover it up?