Sofi problem again! Different one this time! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Sofi problem again! Different one this time!

Ok, this cat is driving me bonkers! and, hubby is starting to look for a new home for her, I am trying to fix her behavior! It is frustrating, you can train dogs good/bad, and horses even, but this cat is the end of us!!

She has started jumping up on the Kitchen counters and walking around to see if there is something to eat. Even if we eat dinner, go downstairs to change for 5 min and come back up to do dishes, she has been up there and licked the pans! gross.

She knows she is not allowed. I have moved the stools thinking that would help, nope. As soon as she hears us coming, she is gone. We keep the kitchen clean, and this is becoming a bad habit, because she knows it is wrong, and we cant catch her to punish her.

I am starting to think a shock collar would work and we could set her up and hide

Any ideas??? having kitty litter paws on our counter is not going over well. There is a lady with MS that was trying to convince her hubby to get her and that may be where she goes....But, when we adopt an animal, it is for life. I still love her, but this is getting frustrating, first the leather chair, now this!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 11:47 AM

Cats can be such brats! Have you tried putting double-sided tape on the counter? You really just have to keep saying no.

Personally I've come to terms that I can't leave food out on the counter. That's the only time Kringle will jump on the counter, when he knows there's food up there. I usually just put covers on the pans while we're eating or soak them in water.

Good luck!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Keeping a cat off the counters is very difficult to begin with and if you leave food out (or food on dirty dishes) it's darn near impossible. Way too much of a temptation. There are various methods for attempting to keep cats off counters; sticky tape, tin foil, squirt bottles, air cans (even ones with sensors so they're effective when you're not home). All of these are met with varying levels of success. And the reality is, that even if you think you've been successful, it's usually only when you're present..they do what they want when you're not around.

Sometimes, instead of 'fixing' the the cats behavior, we have to modify our own. Don't leave food or dirty dishes unattended if keeping her away is that important to you. You're asking her to do something that is completely against her nature, yes...some cats will comply, but for the most part they won't. Make sure she is fed before your dinner and maybe provide a little treat from your dinner after you're done (a little meat or plain veggies). This could reduce the desire to counter surf, since she'll be full and will have sampled what was available on the human menu. On the other hand, she may decide she likes it and go looking for more.

Personally, I gave up on trying to keep them off the counters years ago. I make sure to wipe them down before cooking. And I don't worry about dirty dishes because they're going in the dishwasher. If I have to leave food unattended for a couple minutes, I toss it in the microwave or oven.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quite honestly i dont think your cat jumping on the worktops and licking your pans - as unhygenic as it is - is any reason whatsoever to consider rehoming.

Cats will be cats. There are things that Toby does which I wish he wouldn't but they just aren't trainable in the same way as dogs are.

I'd suggest you just remove all temptation from the kitchen worktops and wipe them over with anti-bacterial wipes before preparing food. It's what I do.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately, my leather chair got it again last night...good thing, the soft paws arrived today, so they are on! Yippee.... I have convince the hubby to keep the kitchen clean and maybe she will be bored of going up there!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Keeping the kitchen clean is the husbands job? I've GOT to get married!

I hope the soft claws work. My "babies" will be able to reach the counters in the next couple of weeks, so I'll be facing the same issues.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofi
Unfortunately, my leather chair got it again last night...good thing, the soft paws arrived today, so they are on! !
Oh thats good. Keep us posted
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I don't think there is an animal alive who could resist a great smelling plate. They seem to think our food is much better than their own. It's a change. The answer is really easy. Just put them into soapy water!

And, as Doodle said, double stick tape will make the counters undesirable. To leave a plate accessible to an animal is like putting candy in front of a toddler, leaving the room, and telling them not to touch. It's not fair to the child...or the cat.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Cat Addict

My suggestion is to get tattle tail and put on the counters as for the chair it may work for that too. best of luck and ask hubby if he'd keep my counters clean too LOL JK!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by melysion
Quite honestly i dont think your cat jumping on the worktops and licking your pans - as unhygenic as it is - is any reason whatsoever to consider rehoming.

Cats will be cats. There are things that Toby does which I wish he wouldn't but they just aren't trainable in the same way as dogs are.

I'd suggest you just remove all temptation from the kitchen worktops and wipe them over with anti-bacterial wipes before preparing food. It's what I do.
I think cats are more trainable than you are giving them credit for. Sofi KNOWS that it is unacceptable to be on the counter, that is why she gets off and runs away as soon as she hears us coming. The other cat doesnt go on the counter. She is just beligerent when it comes to that. She should have been born a pig. I cant free feed her, she would eat the whole box if it were there. I cant leave dog food out (even in the bag as she will eat through it) She is not starving, she gets 1/2 big can of wet food a day and is still porky. She will stuff her mouth and then choke on it. I just dont get her, and it is driving me nuts. Hopefully having the counters spotless will make her realize there is nothing up there, so she wont do it! This is the first house she has started doing this in, the other 3 she never did....

Btw, what is Tattle Tail?

And, an update on the soft paws... One came off yesterday, but, she doesnt seem to mind them at all. She is trying to sharpen her claws more on everything now that they feel dull to her, which I dont think is going to be a good thing if we ever stop using them or they fall off and I dont notice...but for now, they are working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page