'Click, click click' noise. What does it mean? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned

'Click, click click' noise. What does it mean?

I was just wondering. When I want Toby to come to me I sort of 'tut' or 'click' softly and rapidly and he comes running. And I've seen my mother do it with her cats and get the same results.

Do people here do the same? And what might that 'click, click, click' noise mean to them do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
I've always done it to my cats. Heck not only mine, to all cats I come in contact with.

I think my cats have learned to come to it because they know that something good is going to happen(petting, treats,ect)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Banned

I agree. I don't think it's anything special in cat world. They've just learned something good happens when you make that noise. Clicker training is based on that principle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Premier Cat

I wish I could hear this click sound! I do a sort of kissing sound, and that usually does the trick too. It must be whatever they're used to hearing.

Holly and Murphy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Tom Cat

I think I know the sound your talking about. I do the same thing.

I think it kind of sounds like a bug noise and it catches there predatory interest. I have used it to call to strange cats in the neighborhood. They always come to investigate, although most go the other way when they see what's making the noise.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Cool Cat

I know that "pishing" (note the "h") will often bring birds out of bushes to investigate since it sounds like a bird alarm call. Going, "pisssh, pissssh, pissssh" to my cats seems to get their attention and I assume for the same reason -- it sounds like an upset bird!

A number of animals make short, sharp sounds for alarm calls and I think that might be why they get our kitties' attention -- they're evolutionarly predisposed to pay special attention to something that sounds like an alarm call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page