When do kittens meow? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

When do kittens meow?

Cali will open her mouth at me while I'm getting their food ready, but just a little bit of raspy air comes out. My babies can cry (breaks my heart ), but don't really meow yet.

Not that I particularly want them too, one diva is enough, thank you, I was just wondering.....

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
Mizzit does the same thing when I'm feeding her. Maybe it's because they are just so excited about food? I know she's capable of it using her voice.

Mistress Nine and Tea never shut up
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Banned

Are you talking to her Marie? Cats meow mostly for the benefit of humans. In fact, you can meow at her if you want. I'm sure she'll catch on sooner or later.

OTH, if you DON'T want her to meow, you'd better be quiet around her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Skylar's quite the talker already - but I think that's more to do with the fact that she may have some Siamese in her. She meows for various reasons but mostly runs around chirping. Its too cute!

I think they'll find their voices sooner or later.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Cool Cat

I agree with coaster. You don't often hear cats meowing to each other. They usually meow to or at humans and it starts as a conditioned response. "Oh, THAT worked (got me food, petting, toys, any desired attention) --- I'll have to remember that!"

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CataholicsAnonymous
You don't often hear cats meowing to each other.
You know, now that I think about it I've never heard them meow at each other. But what about chirping....Holly is always chirping at Kobi. And it's always a bid for attention. When she wants to be groomed by him she'll flop down in front of him, stretch out and use her paws in a way that looks like she's beckoning him to come over to her. And she chirps the whole time.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I talk to all my kitties all the time. There was meowing in the carrier on the way to the vet this morning, but I'm starting to think it's just Charlee. I'm sure when they start meowing for food, I'll wish they didn't know how.

Cleo is my only talker. It's so funny - she even walks away talking to herself when she doesn't get what she wants. That's the funniest thing of all! Well, that, and when she wakes herself up talking.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Tom Cat

My cat is 8 y/o and does that raspy, whisper like meow.

She usually does it when she wants to be fed too. My wife and I joke that the cat is trying to let us know she’s so weak with hunger, she can’t manage a real meow (she’s a bit of a drama queen).

When we adopted her, almost 2 years ago, she didn’t meow at all and that was the first sound we heard her make. Since my wife and I both talk to her and respond positively to her sounds, she now has a whole chorus ranging from grunts to chirps to loud yowls, depending on what she’s trying to tell us.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Premier Cat

Arianwen has a lot of different meows for different things. And I've learned the meaning of a few of them, or she's training me.
But I think the cutest one is the "silent meow" for an affectionate greeting.
She'll also sometimes softly say,"Hey!", for a greeting.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page